What's new

Lower Watt Amp W/Higher Rated Pre/Pro (1 Viewer)

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
The title is a little misleading so let me clarify. Is anyone currently or has anyone tried an separate amp that the wattage is lower than your A/V receiver?

Example:

A/V Receiver: 5 X 125 watts(used as a Pre/Pro to bypass internal amps)

With:

Separate Amp: 5 X 85 watts

What were your results?

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
"Would an internal amp be inferior to the lower wattage separate."

Depends on the speakers IMO. If you have high efficient speakers, you will notice very little difference. If you have harder to drive speakers (Like my NHT's at 86db efficiency and dips below 6 ohms) the separate amp would do better in most cases. Your question simply does not have 1 set answer as there are too many variables. Not all INTERNAL amps (those in receivers) are created equal either. Some of the Harmon Kardon receivers do a better job with their amps than MOST other brands. Other brands like Onkyo and Denon overstate their amps capabilities.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
I was referring to the quality of sound
Sorry Donnie but you question was just to vague. My original statement stays, but I will add that the external amp will provide you with a better sound, more detail and a wider more expansive sound stage. Even though it is rated at less watts. To be quite honest watts mean nothing. Unless the inners of an amp/rec are designed right to drive those watts into the speakers with minimal loss/distortion and be able to had large/quick transients then they mean nothing. Amps are designed for the most this way. Receivers try but most often fail.

Kevin

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
I recently added a seperate Rotel amp (RMB-1066) to my Yamaha receiver(RXV-800). I currently have the amp bridged into 3 channels which provides 150 wpc. Yes the amp is much clearer and provides better bass. But somewhat disturbing is how much louder my system is with the amp. I always thought that my amp rating of 100 wpc was an accurate one. After some setup I have found that it is not even close!

Now a question...
Before the amp my reference level was -17.0 db on the Yamaha, now it is -37.0 db. That means, if I understand that every 3 db requires a doubling in power, that the amp doubles the power of the receiver almost 7 times.

I should mention here that I am using Paradigm Monitor 5 v.2 for my main speakers which have a sensitivity of 91 db.

If you half the power of the amp 7 times, you come up with around 1 watt. I am having a hard time beliving this. If I made an error in math or an incorrect assumption somewhere let me know, but I am curious to know just how much more power I picked up with my amp. Thanks.

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Donnie,
If you input one (1) watt of power into your speakers, at one meter away, they should mike at 91 db. People don't realize that under most conditions, you are only using a couple of watts of power to drive them at normal listening levels. It's at higher volumes and with difficult transients that demand the extra wattage, and they can add up fast.

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
I only brought it up because in some cases I don't see the value in using say a 100 watt amp with a Denon 5803. This was just an example. I do understand the difference in sound quality though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks