Loud Discs

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ScottR, May 31, 2004.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

What causes portions of some discs to spin so loudly in the player? Do some players eliminate this problem. My dvd player is five years old now. But I have noticed this on some discs, and it only happens on certain portions of the film.

2. WillG

WillG Producer

Sometimes when I put in a disc it spins loudly until it gets to the menu. It usually stops when I actually play the feature. I was wondering what causes this myself. Maybe the disc is slightly misaligned with the spindle which causes vibrations?

3. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

So is this a player issue or a disc issue? I didn't see any scratches on the disc.

4. Matt Stieg

Matt Stieg Stunt Coordinator

I thought about asking that myself recently. It can get quite irritating. My previous RCA player made sort of a low, vibrating rumbling sound. It wasn't that bad because it was low-pitched and kind of quiet. But man my new JVC player, WOW! VERY annoying, makes a high-pitched, loud spinning noise. The worse is on my DVD of Son of Dracula, lasts damn near 40 minutes into the film, making it almost unwatchable. I try to muffle it by putting a pillow or something in front of it but it still comes through. If anyone out there has a solution, PLEASE let us know!

5. WillG

WillG Producer

I have a JVC that does it sometimes. Usually if you open and close the tray for a few attemps, the noise will reduce or stop. It is annoying though

6. Kelly Grannell

Kelly Grannell Second Unit

It's a disc issue. Not due to scratches, but to the (lack of) perfection of the disc. If the disc is not completely flat and round, there will create imbalance while it's spinning. Depending on the rotation speed of the disc (whether it's in the inner area or the outer area), the relative imbalance will differ and may cause the noise.

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Odd my 5 yr old Sony player is dead quiet regardless of what discs I put into it. I would think a stable transport would take care of any imbalance issues that a disc might have.