What's new

LOTR - Two Towers 2 Disc Transfer Question... (1 Viewer)

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
Did New Line ever make some kind of statement regarding the very different color transfers between the theatrical and extended editions....although i seem to remember not liking the color-drained transfer during my theatrical experience with the two towers (and also remembering saying to myself - "This will look much better/colorful on dvd...") ....when the 2-disc set came out last august i was very dissapointed - especially when the trailers & the preview of the extended edition seemed to be color-timed correctly. Will they ever or have they fixed this on the theatrical cut? Although I at first was going to own both the theatrical & extended editions of all LOTR films, now i'm thinking of dicing Fellowship & Towers before ROTK comes out in may and just waiting till november.....whereas i though from time to time i might watch FOTR theatrical I don't think i could ever watch TTT theatrical again with the crappy transfer.......

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Er, I haven't noticed *any* color difference between the theatrical and extended TTT dvd's. The extended had better picture quality overall, but the colors looked pretty identical to me.

Ryan_TD

Stunt Coordinator
Man, see that's waht I mean. The colors on my TTT theatrical dvd looks pale and washed-out in comparison to the Extended Two Towers.
Did you get your copy of TTT theatrical on or close to release date back in august??
Maybe they fixed it...

Jari

Stunt Coordinator
I took a couple of screenshots from both versions (R2) and didn't notice any difference in colors. Although I did notice that the theatrical edition is slightly wider than the EE. What's up with that? Aren't the EE's supposed to be the superduper editions?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
If you have the Fellowship of the Ring EE, look in the special features discs for the minidocumentary on the digital color correction that was done on these films. They look exactly how Peter Jackson meant them to look as far as color tone and saturation.

My TT EE and Theatrical editions, both bought on the day of their release, are the same as far as color goes. The more the forces of evil are dominant the more subdued the color pallette, intentionally.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, could you potentially have bought (unwittingly of course) a bootleg version? I too do not see any real difference between the color timings of these two discs, and I bought both (Theatrical and Gift Set) on release date.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
As you noticed originally, it's supposed to be bleak and colorless. It's a directorial comment on the thematic material. I remember commenting in the theater, "When the DVD comes out, people will complain that the color is weak." So why do you want it to look like something other than what it's supposed to? We're no longer in the green and lush world of the Shire or the autumnal splendor of Rivendell. The Shadow is reaching forth, so the bright colors are subdued, not to return until the end of ROTK.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks