What's new

Looking for solid DVD player for use with new Panny 47WX53 HDTV (1 Viewer)

Chris_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Up until now I've been using my 3-4 year old Toshiba SD2200 2-disc DVD player which didn't even play anything burned at all - even CDs! Just this past weekend I "invested" in a nice 47" RPTV and I want to provide it the best signal I can. This set has a DVI-HDMI/HDCP input.

My old player did not even have progressive scan, so while I was buying the TV I decided to pick up the Sony DVP-NC665P
5-disc DVD player as well ($180). I've since read average reviews on this player. To me the picture quality via component was excellent, but I'm used to a 25" zenith with an s-vid input...

I'm debating taking the player back because I've learned of these new DVI players that also upscale to 1080i. I'm looking for suggestions on what to buy from you all, here are my needs/wants:

-Needs to have high quality audio playback, but don't care in the least about SACD or DVD-A.
-Would like to have multi disc capability, but if the right DVD player didn't have it, would simply buy a multi CD player too
-Price: sub-$350
-MUST have high picture quality, either via DVI out or component, and if it can to 1080i upscale so much the better.
-Would like to have the DVD player display nonanamorphic or 4:3 signals properly, not cropped. The Sony seems to do this well.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Paul Simmons

Stunt Coordinator
I'd recommend the Pioneer DV-563A-S, it's the same DVD player I'm looking into right now, it does do SACD and DVD-A as well. It doesnt have a multi-disc system though :frowning:

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Bravo D1 - digital DVI (Progressive or Interlaced) scalable up to 1920x1080i or 1280 x 720p resolutions

Samsung HD931 - The DVD-HD931 features two significant firsts: the ability to upconvert a standard DVD signal to HD-compatible 720p or 1080i, and a DVI output (until now only found on some HDTV tuners

Liteon LVD2001 - component, upscales....

The following don't do 1080i....

Kenwood 5700 - DCDi chip , 5 disc changer

Denon - Anything from them changer or single disc recommended Highly is the Denon 1600 if you still can find it.

Chris_Campbell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Thank you both. Question: would a high quality component out player like the Denon 1600 give me the same quality picture as a DVI output player like the Samsung or Bravo?

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I just recently read a post somewhere that said they liked the samsung/Bravo component over DVI because DVI was too soft looking....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks