What's new

Looking For Review Of "A Time To Kill" DVD (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

I like this movie very much, and am thinking of upgrading this one from VHS to DVD. But I noticed that it's one of the older DVD titles, released with a swarm of others on that famous date of August 22, 1997. Therefore, I'm wondering about the video quality. How does it measure up to a 2002 transfer?
According to the following Widescreen Review, this DVD is the best thing since sliced bread and peanut butter & jelly! (But I'm wondering if this glowing recommendation is because of the date (1997) of the review. I'm wondering if the term "...is the end of the world in picture quality" still applies 5 years later.) :) ........
Widescreen Review:
Picture Quality: 5 (5 is the highest rating)
The anamorphically enhanced DVD is the end of the world in picture quality. It looks better than film. The stupendous image quality is no doubt due to the additional vertical lines that are created by the anamorphic doubling process. Viewed in the component video format, the quality is further magnified with dramatically enhanced sharpness and detail. Every imaging aspect is optimized for accuracy and naturalness. The DVD anamorphic and letterbox are 2.32:1.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
i wouldn't take anything widescreen review say too seriously. IMHO, they're not always that accurate in their assesment of PQ. and their reviews are never updated in line with current day standards, as is the case with most/all reviews out there. sorry, i just don't find them that reliable. :)
it may have looked "end of the world" in 97, but it doesn't cut it now. however, it's certainly at the top of warners' 97 output and really isn't that bad, especially on smaller displays. i've seen a lot worse come out of the "cardboard house" during that time period.
if you like the movie, sure, get it. if warner do release a special edition later on, you'll only have wasted $10. the film's more than worth it IMO.
warning : it's a warner flipper special.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Andy, for that input! Appreciate your thoughts.
And, yeah....what you said re. Widescreen Review makes sense, and is kinda what I was thinking as well.
It was probably the cream-of-the-crop in 1997, but by 2002 transfer standards, it probably would rate...say...a 3.5 (maybe?). I don't know.
And it's a "flipper" you say!? Hmmmmm....I think I will pick this one up (just to say I've got 1 flipper in my collection :)). Seems curious, though, that that 150-minute film, with virtually no extras, couldn't fit on one side. Perhaps that in itself is testimony to the "5-star" rating given by Widescreen Review. They used up both sides to ensure a great transfer. :)
I do love this movie....although I would have liked to have seen a lot more of Miss Bullock here. She's almost totally wasted in this role (IMO).

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
I thought the max for a single layer DVD5 is around 130 min, my understanding is you can't go as high as 150 min.
This disk is also a flipper in UK R2

Am waiting for Warner to reissue this and Pelican Brief (also a flipper). In the UK they have been very slow to reissue flippers as dual layer disks. Only one I can think of so far is The Right Stuff at around 180 min. Still waiting for these, Goodfellas (but will be replaced by SE later this year) and Michael Collins (has excellent documentary but will not buy on principle as flipper).

Han

Second Unit
I'm not sure if saying you own a flipper is a good thing.:) I've got ATTK, Sleepers, Stargate (for lack of a truly better version), and Amadeus. At least there has been rumblings about Amadeus and Goodfellas getting new versions. I've practically given up hope on ATTK and Sleepers.
Now wouldn't it be somewhat a shame if Goodfellas:SE ends up being split across two discs when it comes out?:D

PatrikB

Grip
I'm also waiting for a reissue of this film , haven't bought it mainly because of the flipper factor. I thought Warner were going to reissue all the old flippers but they do not seem to be in a hurry doing so.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Off-topic....

But, has anyone else noticed 2 odd things happening at HTF.com??
Within the last day, I've had my post count FALL by 115 or so (inexplicably). Has this happened to anyone else?
Also....What happened to images in posts? Mine are only showing up as links. Including member sigs. Hmmmm?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks