What's new

Looking for Receiver (1 Viewer)

Stephen_Rob

Stunt Coordinator
I have paradigm mini monitor v3, cc 270, and atoms
I am looking for a reciver for around $600.00(CAN)it will replace my 6 year old sony reciver. I have looked at the denon 1804 and marantz 5400 sony 1000es
i can get good deals on marantz denon and sony but i am not set on any one brand. I listen to 80% music 20% movies.
I was leaning towards the marantz because i thought it sound a little better then the denon for music but i have read alot about digital audio dropout and heat issues with them.
any help would be greatly appreciated

Chris Knight

Auditioning
Have you looked at Pioneer at all. They make some pretty nice receivers and they're affordable. The VSX-912K is a nice one. It does Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 and it has several DSP's for listening to music such as: Concert Hall, Dance Hall, Jazz, and 5 channel stereo. They sound really good too. I have a Pioneer Elite receiver and I absolutely love it. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Stephen_Rob

Stunt Coordinator
My old sony reciver has all thoughs dsp modes and i have never realy liked them. I have nothing against pionner but i have had problems with there mobile audio decks so i haven't looked at them.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
I would. I was in the same boat as you. mobile audio was crappy. Their home audio stuff however is top notch. I love it. stay away from sony, the marants is good, also check out NAD, they have one receiver on sale now for a great deal!

Stephen_Rob

Stunt Coordinator
You said to stay away from sony. So you mean the regular line or do you mean the ES line as well.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

The "ES" line has been quite good. However, some of the new "ES" receivers do have some "noise" issues that purchasers have detected while listening to the receivers.

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
i'm getting a marantz 6400...I have yet to get a current price, but I it will be around 650 Canadian for me for this receiver..

Stephen_Rob

Stunt Coordinator
What about the digital audio dropout and heat problems that i have heared marantz recivers are having

Meindert

Grip
The NAD T 742 ( 5 x 50w) is a good receiver as well for music and you can get it for around $ 600.00 (CAN)

Good luck

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

The 1000 is not a digital receiver. The 2000, 3000 and 5000 are. The noise issues that I've read about have been in the 2000 and 3000 models.

Stephen_Rob

Stunt Coordinator
I just got back from the sony store and they want $1000 (Can) for the 1000es. Now is it just me or is that way to much for that reciever.

Marcus Parham

Auditioning
I do not have heat issues with my marantz because of proper ventilation. However I do receive a 3 second audio delay at the begining of digital sources. I beleive it will be corrected when I send the unit in for the upgrade.

Shiu

Second Unit
As Wayne said, its the digital ES models that may have some issue with hiss, the 1000ES should be fine. ES receivers does not seem to have reliability issues, you get 3 years warranty in Canada. They are built like a tank too.

If Sony Store wants $1000 for the 1000ES, you should be able to buy it from several authorized dealers in Toronto for less than that with tax included. Buying from Sony store generally cost you 20% more, but you get to return it within 30 days no question asked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks