What's new

Looking for a working LaserDisc player... (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I have a Pioneer Elite dual side model. I'll have to check the model number, with remote. Hadn't considered selling it, even though it hasn't been turned on in years. But, it really is just one of those things cluttering up the house. I even have the shipping screw, to secure the laser.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I couldn't remember what it was. It's a CLD-D701. The main drawback is it doesn't have AC-3 built-in. It needs a mod for that. I thought it was an Elite, and it is styled like Elite components, with gold connections and fancy gold script. I think it might have been before the Elite brand was created. I can't remember. The remote should work fine. I really need to connect it and play one of the LDs I have sitting around. I still have a couple. Do you need one with AC-3? I'm the original owner. I bought it at a big catalog showroom type store in Connecticut. The name escapes me at the moment.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Thank you for the details. I don't need AC-3. Just looking to transfer my collection to digital, and my Pioneer CLD-990 bit the dust a few discs into the process. Need to be able to access alternate audio, which typically requires the remote to change tracks.

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't remember what it was. It's a CLD-D701. The main drawback is it doesn't have AC-3 built-in. It needs a mod for that. I thought it was an Elite, and it is styled like Elite components, with gold connections and fancy gold script. I think it might have been before the Elite brand was created. I can't remember. The remote should work fine. I really need to connect it and play one of the LDs I have sitting around. I still have a couple. Do you need one with AC-3? I'm the original owner. I bought it at a big catalog showroom type store in Connecticut. The name escapes me at the moment.

The Elites existed at that point -- at least CLD91 (??31 probably came out that years as well) and LDS2 came out in 1990, the 52/92/95 in 1992, and legendary 97 in 1993 . The 701 came out in late 1992. I originally bought a 3090 in 1991 and had constant issues with it and Pioneer eventually switched it for the 701 which worked wonderfully for several years of pretty heavy play. The Elite 59/79/99 came out out in 1995 and were mostly based on the 703/704 chassis were the last of the Dedicated Elite LDP.

The last Elite LD player were DV/LD combo players 90 in 1997 and the impressive 91 in 1998

I actually thought the 1986 LDS1 was an Elite (and $2000 price tag) since it had the same styling and 'wood' side panels, but it actually wasn't branded as such

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Just tried that for a second time, and got my 2nd machine which was either damaged in shipping or purchased from a scammer. I was hoping to find a trustworthy soul here with a machine to unload. I'm not interested in losing another $200.00.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I feel your pain. I have two players for that reason because one is bound to crap out eventually (then both). Just finished backing up my Playboy discs, Russ Meyer discs, all my Looney tunes discs and am currently working on my music discs. Next will be the Criterion Bond discs to capture commentaries. Need to beat the planned obsolescence before it's too late.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I feel your pain. I have two players for that reason because one is bound to crap out eventually (then both). Just finished backing up my Playboy discs, Russ Meyer discs, all my Looney tunes discs and am currently working on my music discs. Next will be the Criterion Bond discs to capture commentaries. Need to beat the planned obsolescence before it's too late.
That's what I am doing. I need the space back that my collection has been occupying for years. And its nice to be able to just pull up a file on my laptop rather than dig through boxes to find things. I have already digitized over 2000 VHS tapes and was up to about 50 lasers when my machine conked out.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Have you been able to capture those Criterion discs with both the main audio AND commentary, switchable during play? That's the main reason I haven't bothered transferring many laserdiscs to DVD, also because noticeable compression artifacts show up. I've got several players so hopefully will never be without one.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I don't transfer to disc anymore. I create uncompressed mp4 files and store them on an external drive. For alternate tracks I just create a file with the soundtrack and one with the commentary.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I believe he inquired with me, but I simply don’t want to give up mine.

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
Was that the Century Showroom?
That was the only showroom store I knew about in the 70's & 80's. Buffalo, NY area, but I think they had showrooms in the Tri-State area too, and presumable all over NY state.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Was that the Century Showroom?
That was the only showroom store I knew about in the 70's & 80's. Buffalo, NY area, but I think they had showrooms in the Tri-State area too, and presumable all over NY state.
It was Lechmere, I believe. The particular store was in central Connecticut.

Pupp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James D.
Ahh. Ya, in the Buffalo area, Century was only showroom store I was aware of.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks