What's new

Looking for a stereo A/B receiver with optical input (for digital video editing)... (1 Viewer)

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
I'm trying to determine the best way for setting up the "listening" portion of a DIY video editing suite at my workplace. All editing will be done on a Power Mac G5 with optical and analog audio outputs. I'm open to any suggestions, but what (I think) I need is a receiver with the following features:

- Optical (S/PDIF) input
- A/B speaker outputs: one for studio monitors, one for "regular" bookshelves

Let me know if I'm totally off the mark. Is there any point to using the optical output on the G5? We will never do surround mixes; audio will almost always be voiceover and music beds. Nothing has been purchased yet, and I would prefer to put more money towards the speakers, so the receiver doesn't need to be much. Thanks!

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
The advantage to using the optical out is it removes the analog signals from the Mac environment. Also, I'm sort of morally opposed to 'mini' connectors for just about any use.

So what I would suggest is a low-end (

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Few if any stereo receivers have a digital input. You'll probably need to get an AVR with Dolby and DTS and use it in stereo mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks