What's new

lol...Beta vs VHS newsgroups from 1984! (1 Viewer)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

eek. 8 hour VHS tapes? Various sources have conspired to get us to believe that (original) Beta had better image quality than (original) VHS, but if references to 8 hour mode are being thrown around, perhaps "image quality" is a more recent concern.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I think the arrival of Super VHS in the late 1980's and the development of 19-micron recording heads in the middle 1990's pretty much finished off the Beta format. I just recently fixed my Mitsubishi HS-495 VHS recorder and it works fabulous well in recording high-quality recordings even at EP speeds. :emoji_thumbsup:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
That is completely awesome. Other than the technology being discussed, it could be a newsgroup conversation from 2006. What's most amazing to me is that this was 1984, which was about 11 years before I got on the internet. We think we came up with so much, but here are guys saying "stop the flaming" way back then!

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

23 years later it seems Mr. Adolfo here is now buying HDTVs... "hey, i just got a 72" Toshiba and a HD-DVD player. Do I connect the red & white audio cables to the Tv, or just use the HDMI cable?"

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Sour grapes rationalization is common among geeks. Perfectly sensible improvements in sound and video are lumped in with audio tweakery. As for me, I enjoy youtube and google video and all the rest for short clips-- but for sitting down to watch a movie, I prefer my 768p display and my oppo and my surround sound. Some prefer not to see the benefit because it is politically or economically unfeasible.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks