What's new

Local OTA Channels in HD. Satellite or Antena (1 Viewer)

Dave Gates

Agent
I thought I had this figured out, but after reading a few recent posts, I need some clarification.

I am purchasing a Toshiba 57HX81, and plan on subscribing to Dish Network for my HD signals. I know I need the 20" Dish 500, an 18" dish, and the 6000 receiver, in order to get all of the available channels. I live in the Detroit Metro area, so my local channels (ABC, CBS, NBC & FOX) are available over the Dish Network satellite.

Will I be able to receive the Network HD broadcasts through the satellite in HD format? Or, will I have to purchase an 8VSB module and an OTA antenna?

Thanks in advance.

AllenD

Second Unit
Dave,
I'm not familiar with your equipment so I can't comment if you need an 8VSB module or not. But I can tell you to check out what's available OTA in your are at TitanTV.

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
You can only get CBS HD on Dish Network. And only in certain areas (forget what areas).

NBC and ABC are not available in HD on Dish. FOX has never broadcasted HD.

Peter

Rob Varto

Supporting Actor
Peter, I have nearly the same setup (and live in Canton, MI); only difference is the size of the TV. I can tell you that yes, you can get CBS HD from Dishnetwork, for a price and you need to get your local affiliate to submit you a waiver release. In other words, they need to "grant you permission" to receive the HD signal from Dishnetwork. As far as the other HD locals go, you can only get them from an 8VSB module and an OTA antenna. Keep in mind that getting the locals can be tricky and dependent on your location but I've had some trouble keeping them tuned in - even with TitanTV.com's recommend antenna. It's worth it nonetheless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks