What's new

Live Jazz (1 Viewer)

KrisM

Second Unit
I thought I would start a thread about music that has no chance of turning into a SACD/DVD-A debate.:)
Some of the announcements for the Edmonton Jazz Festival are starting to come in and I am curious if anyone here has seen Joshua Redmond, Patricia Barber or Martin Medeski and Wood lately, and if any are worth seeing. I listen to my share of classic jazz, but I admit I really don't listen to much current stuff or live jazz.
The festival usually adds a few good blues shows as well(Keb Mo, Susan Tedeschi, Buddy Guy, Johnny Lang among others have played in recent years), but they haven't announced any yet, unless you consider Little Feat.

Thanks for your opinions.
KrisM

John Watson

Screenwriter
Sounds like the type of lineup I used to see at the Ottawa Jazz festival, including the Blues Fest type additions.

For most blues, rock and pop, especially outdoor concerts, (but depressingly common for even indoor concerts in large halls), atrocious sound is the norm. Whether if its just wind or distance, or the engineers actually are both deaf or can't understand acoustics, or the venue is just too absurd, loud volume seems to be the only operating criterion. Clarity, balance or proportion is completely lacking.
Bad weather can't be ruled out!

For a jazz fest, indoor sound would often be an asset.

On the other hand there is a thrill to seeing a legend live, or hearing the cutting edge stuff that you won't find on radio or in the bins at small record stores. In the case of little known performers, I usually try and buy a cd of the band or performer I like most, as most of these bands often carry a small stock with them.

Another thing, if the listening conditions are decent, you get to hear the music as it is, as its played, and not the computer processed product of a corporation.

Where I live now, I'm more likely to find a Bluegrass Festival in the neighbourhood, but the nearby university has a music department and the professionals get togther with the students for inexpensive concerts sometimes. My home listening conditions are not great, so the spaciousness of live sound in a real theater with decent acoustics is just amazing. :)

KrisM

Second Unit
Our jazz fest is not quite a festival, more a week of concerts at various different venues,most being indoors. The blues shows that I have seen have had decent sound for the most part as most were in an auditorium with good acoustics.
Our blues fest is at an outdoor park, but it is a covered area with seats and sounds pretty good. The only problem I have had over the years is with the acoustic shows. The volume is lower and people seem to be unable to shut-up when somebody is performing. There also seems to be a 'dead area' in the middle of the dance floor sometimes.

Regards
KrisM

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Joshua Redman is fun to see live- he is very entertaining, though I feel some of his "tricks" can get annoying.

I haven't seen the other two perform, but from her albums, Barber seems like she was would be very cool to see perform.

NP: Sonny Clark, Trio, SACD

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
Patricia Barber is fantastic live. Without a doubt, one of my favorites of the current crop of artists that are out there touring.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks