What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Little Known Sci Fi Gem on Dvd: Final Cut (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I found out about this movie from another forum and decided to give it a rent.

The movie is a Scifi movie that sorta resembles the movie Strange Days.

The Lead role belongs to Robin Williams and some nice supporting roles by Jim Caviezal(Passion), and Mia Sorvino.

The movie is basically a Sci Fi movie that really makes you think. It revolves around an implant that resurrects your experiences and is shown at your future funeral. This implant is done before birth.

Anyway, w/o getting into it much, I suspect people need to watch it and let it sink in. It's pretty brilliant if you ask me.

The movie is done by Lions Gate and presented in 2.35 Anamorphic with a Dolby 5.1 track which is very effective. the PQ is pretty decent I thought. Some decent extras too but I haven't looked thru those yet.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
Yep I rented this the other day and really enjoyed it. it's a shorter than normal movie (105 min) so it doesnt drag on.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
It is also vaguely reminiscent of Minority Report. But more of a student film than a finished film. Robin Williams is excellent. The guy with the glued-on beard is, well, he's got a glued-on beard.

I like to pretend that it is SUPPOSED to be a glued-on beard because the guy is so paranoid about being "remembered" that he always wears a stupid beard as a disguise.

Worth a rent though, especially if you like the new Outer Limits tv series. Same sort of vibe.

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Not trying to thread crap, but just to give those who might be thinking about renting this film an alternate point of view, I Rented this last weekend and found it to be painfully boring. I got the meaning and the subtext....I just didn't care. It is a very dark and depressing movie. Williams is fabulous in the movie, you just don't care about his character. No one in the movie is likeable.

I understand why people might like type of movie, but I did not.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I think that it's worth a rental also, but that's about it. I hate to use spoilers so all I will say is that it has some interesting ideas but instead of pursuing a much more interesting storyline, it throws it into the background and concentrates on a very hackneyed alternate route. A real shame as this could have been a really good, intelligent sci-fi film, a true rarity nowadays. Even so, I never found it boring, just frustrating in its inability to realize its potential.

And it also has the most unbelievable & laughable romantic pairing of 2 people I've seen in a film in quite some time (which it doesn't even try to explain).

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Not to get too anal about it but as far as I can judge most average films are 90 minutes so it is actually a little longer than "normal".

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

She reads books and works in a bookstore.
He reads lives and works in a place that stores lives.

But then again it did seem unlikely she'd date him, even with that similarity.

There's a bigger nit:

Why are some people worried about what people record with their eyes, if everyone also knows that the "cutters" end up editing out everything except the nicest moments? Their concern would have only made any kind of logical sense if the job of the "cutters" was to document the people's WORST actions! THAT would have been a heck of a film. An Orwellian film about how a government can find crime in everyone if they are ever given unbridaled power to snoop into everyone's lives.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
watched this last weekend and while it was ok I was really disappointed in the ending. to me, it didn't make sense for the following reason

When robin williams' character originally watched the scene with the father and the daughter, he cut it before actually seeing anything "bad" happen. So even though mr. glued on beard killed him to get the info he had seen, there wasn't anything to be discovered in his chip because he had never actually witnessed the molestation or whatever was supposed to have occured.

It made the ending seem very inconclusive and abrupt to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks