What's new

List of LOWRY DIGITAL IMAGES DVD "restorations?" (1 Viewer)

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Yes indeed -- incidentally, are upcoming chats announced on the Software forum? If not, where? I've been around these parts a while now, but I'm still not quite clear on that. If I'm around when one's held, I imagine I can figure out the rest (getting in, getting a question submitted, etc.).

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
According to the sidebar on page 2 of this article, which was just posted about in another thread, Criterion's The Importance of Being Ernest (1952) was a Lowry job too. Also confirms MGM's "The Ghoul" (1933).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Aside from the rain removal debacle in CK (for which Lowry apologized in his chat), I must say that at home video sizes I've found much to praise and little to criticize in their efforts (as have many on-line reviewers working even at home video projection sizes, which I believe are generally

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Patrick, when you name ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN, I hope you mean some future DVD re-issue, as the current one is almost unwatchable.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, All The President's Men desperately needs a remastered release with bonus features. It's a vital American film.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Isn't KING KONG getting the Lowry treatment? And there are 3 FOX films that should be on the list as well. :)

EDIT: Ack! Which of the James Bond films belong on this list?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
EDIT: Ack! Which of the James Bond films belong on this list?
It looks like the first 9 are getting 4K restorations (from the negatives) while the rest (minus Die Another Day) will get new HD remasters with the Lowry Process.

Also, I've updated the list (Rob: Thanks for bringing this thread out of the swamp!)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Patrick,

Thanks for compiling and maintaining such a great list!

Not to be nit-picky, but isn't the current (magnificent) version of SINGIN IN THE RAIN the fruilt of Lowry's labor? Currently it is listed as "[unconfirmed]". If not, it certainly looks beautiful. And I think GWTW is coming out in a month or two in R1.

Also, is that all the DISNEY films? I would expect to see more on the list. If POCAHONTAS deserves the Lowry treatment, there must be at least two dozen other Disney features that deserve it as well.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Rob:

Some LDI articles/interviews cite Singin' in the Rain: SE as one of their projects. Some don't.

My best guess is that some of the Ultra-Resolution projects are handled by LDI and some are not. The Adventures of Robin Hood, as great as the DVD is, was clearly not handled by LDI. On the other hand, SITR: SE looks like their work.

Also, they hinted before that they wanted to re-do Gone With The Wind and also have a chance at The Wizard of Oz from separations. With the 4-disc GWTW coming in November and the rumored 3-disc Oz next Fall, this may prove to be true.

This is one reason why I really wish they had a website with a list of all their projects!

As for the Disney stuff... LDI mentioned Snow White, Peter Pan: SE, Pinocchio: SE (not announced yet), and Mary Poppins: SE (coming soon), Pocahontas: SE (coming soon). Alice in Wonderland: Masterpiece Edition was never mentioned, but it looks like one of their projects.

The truth is, most of LDI's work is unknown. Even on DVD's that we DO know of, only a handful even credit LDI for cleanup work (THX-1138, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, and Roman Holiday).

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Many Warner titles looks super-clean without the LDI being involved; do Warner use the MTI digital restoration system that Criterion use? Can LDI digitally "repair" MAJOR tears that would negative would yield?

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
You can fix tears as long as there are undamaged frames with the same visual information to copy portions from.

Pocahontas? Why would any Disney animated movie from Rescuers Down Under onward need LDI? That's when Disney started using the CAPS system, and thus they should have digital files of every frame of every movie since then, the images never having gone to film. No damage to fix, no dirt to clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks