What's new

Liquid nails applicatios (1 Viewer)

Jedd

Second Unit
As for my dilemma of gluing/screwing baltic birch to mdf boards I decided to glue them up. The main reason was.. the birch looks too good to leave screw pimples on its perfect face. :b

So I headed to local HD looking for softglues (as I understand you should use flexible glue to attach BB to MDF)

I came across the stand with the liquid nails and one of them had "stay flexible forever" marking (green one, for subfloors and decks), so I picked it up ($2.27 for a bottle)

The other softglues, like GOOP, cost 2 times more for 3 times smaller bottle, so I became a little worried - is it just a "brand-name" price or there is something more behind it?

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Screws are much stronger. If you can find some matching plugs you can countersunk the screws under the surface of the wood. The plugs will then cover it up and can be sanded nicely.

If you glue them, make sure to caulk the inside with like a silicone based sealer.

The liquid nails you picked up will probably do fine, you are basically buying the brand name.

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I don't agree with Chris.
For this application (laminating to big flat things together) liquid nails or some form of glue liberally applied across the surface and then well weighted down while drying/curing will be a far superior bond.
Can't speak about that specific glue as I don't know it, but I would glue the boards before I'd screw them. Ummm, yeah. With screws that is...
Check out the pics at Patrick Sun's Sunosub I site:
http://www.io.com/~patman/sunosub.html
Photo's 8 and 7 in particular.
Good luck
Robin Smith

Jeffrey_S

Stunt Coordinator
Jedd,
NorthCreekMusic.com makes a glue they call Soft Glue that was formulated specifically for this purpose. They recommend using laminated MDF/BB ply for baffles and the panel opposite to the baffle. I have used it and it seems to work very well. It is pricey, however, at $13.50 per liter. Check it out at their website.
http://www.northcreekmusic.com/ACCESSORIES.html
It's near the end of the page.
Jeff

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator
I have used Liquid Nails on a variety of household projects. I decided to use it to build my Shiva enclosure. I laminated 3/4" particle board to 3/4" MDF board. Works like a charm. Just ensure you use plenty of clamping force and leave the boards clamped for at least 24 hours. I found that if you unclamp you pieces too soon, the pieces can come apart. Don't worry though, once clamped this adhesive works well. I actually had to make my enclosure smaller (SAF) so I took my Skil saw to the box and all I saw was what looked like 1 piece of wood. The box is 2 years old. Also make sure to get as much dust off as possible.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I second Robin's statement, adhesives are usually stronger than fasteners due to the fact that forces are spread over a greater amount of area if done correctly. Screws are maybe preferred if you intend to dismantle that part of the joint in the future (maybe to be replaced by some other wood later, replaced the scuffed or dinged etc). I think they both would be quite adequate if used correctly in the right amount.

Jedd

Second Unit
*Nod*, glue should keep things together better then screws.

I hope it will really stay flexible for a long time.

Tim Hood

Agent
I realize this isn't so much DIY...but...

For about $45 per 4x8 sheet, you can get a lumber yard to do the laminate for you. I just got a 3/4" MDF laminated with 2 1/8" red oak sheets for an entertainment center, and it turned out perfect.

They use a huge pneumatic/hydrolic (??) machine to keep constant pressure on it while the glue dries. All they used was a yellow glue.

Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks