Lifespan of televisions sold today?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MikeJason, Jul 18, 2004.

1. MikeJason

MikeJason Agent

I was told that televisions that are sold today are designed to last only about 4 years. I’m sure that this is not true for all models, but in general, does anyone have any idea how long most televisions produced today can be expected to last?

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Maybe 4 to 5 years if you drive them into the ground.

Maybe 10-15 years if you take care of them.

In the end, it may be the lack of available spare parts for a TV that kills any repair hopes and some brands are no longer supported after just 4 to 5 years.

Regards

3. Tom Martin

Tom Martin Stunt Coordinator

what kinds of tv sets are we talkin bout here?

4. John S

John S Producer

I don't think most of us even want to see the prices of electronics truly built for a 10 year average life expectancy. Keep in mind, it is an average, that average will include sets that never work from the factory, that average will also include the guy "Hopefully me :)" that says, I had a Philips for 15 years and it didn't give me one problem ever!! And of course ever failure in bewteen.

Virtually all electronics are engineered this way anymore, of course some better than others and you still more or less get what you pay for.

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I hope they last longer than 5 years! My TW40X81 is 4 years old now...

6. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

tv's have the same average life as they did 20 years ago about 10 years for a decent crt set (not the $99 special)

7. dan-0

dan-0 Stunt Coordinator

I have a 20inch Hitachi crt that is 18 years old and still used in my bedroom. The TV has been used pretty much everyday of its life.

My wife has 9inch cheap-0 set that is 11 years old and still used in the computer room.

Our Toshiba 32 inch crt is 4 years old. I'm hoping this one dies so I can upgrade to a HDTV.

8. ChrisRuh

ChrisRuh Stunt Coordinator

Funny how that happens.... I'm in the same boat. I *want* my Panasonic 32" CRT (6 years old) to die so I can move my Phillips 32" CRT (3 years old) upstairs and upgrade to a 53-55" HDTV. Wife won't let me till one dies.

That being said I have a Sylvania 19" that has been used everyday and is 15+ years old and looks great.

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The 19 year old Sony KV25XBR in my bedroom still has a better picture than most new analog 27 inchers. It outlasted a '92 model 27 inch Sony that was killed by the statewide California power failure of '96. The 32 inch Sony I bought in 96 and sold to a coworker (a base S series model, btw) is still going strong and has not required a single repair.

As long as I can drag myself to work every day I doubt if I'll need to keep a set more than 4 or 5 years for the forseeable future, dead or not.

I'm really dreading the onset of true HD dvd as I'm fairly sure it won't work with the component-only HD inputs on my current set.