What's new

LG OLED65C6P 3D 4K TV and LG UP970 3D 4K Blu-ray Player scheduled for delivery! (1 Viewer)

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet
So, after 6 years my 60" LG 3D 1080P plasma finally died. Got a lot of use out of it and really enjoyed its stunning picture.
I started shopping for a replacement and finally settled on the LG OLED65C6P 3D 4K and the LG UP970 3D 4K Blu-ray player. Prices at Amazon and Best Buy were in my budget but still seemed rather high.

For years I had purchased TVs and other A/V equipment from Video Only at their Cathedral Hill location in San Francisco. Their prices were very competitive with Circuit City and Best Buy stores in San Francisco. I found their flexible pricing through judicious bargaining a major reason for staying loyal. Buying 2 pieces of equipment and asking for 10%-15% off the total price worked quite well. However, after the San Francisco store closed I found myself using Amazon and Best Buy instead.

Still, I thought I'd try Video Only again and contacted them via email. Told them I wanted the 3D 4K TV and 3D 4K BR player and home delivery for $3100. I got an email response offering me an open box LG OLED65C6P. A further email stated that the TV had a loose optical connection but otherwise was in like new condition. The price for the TV was $1900 with a 5 year in home warranty and delivery to San Francisco at the end of the week. The BR player was $250. TV and player came to $2150 plus tax. Fixing the optical connection at a later date is covered under the 5 year warranty.

Can't wait to set this up in our TV room were I'm currently using our backup TV, a 32" Sharp Roku 1080P.

If anyone has advice or suggestions regarding calibration, I'd love to hear from them.

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
ISF Dark Room and HDR Standard are good for SDR and HDR. Of course you can use a disc to set SDR brightness.

In ISF Dark Id recommend 40 OLED light 80 Contrast as a start, and adjust OLED Light up or down. HDR Standard, just go 100 OLED and 100 Contrast.

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet
ISF Dark Room and HDR Standard are good for SDR and HDR. Of course you can use a disc to set SDR brightness.

In ISF Dark Id recommend 40 OLED light 80 Contrast as a start, and adjust OLED Light up or down. HDR Standard, just go 100 OLED and 100 Contrast.

Thanks!

Bill_Bright

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Dredging up this thread to ask how you like the LG UP970? I just ordered it from B&H for $227 (with free shipping) and am hoping I did not make a mistake. It will be connected to a LG OLED55C7P.

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet
Haven't used it as much as I would like due to traveling on family matters. But, watched Fantastic Beasts in 3D with 4 kids and 3 other adults and Guardians of the Galaxy in 3D and thoroughly enjoyed the quality image. Also watched a couple of B&W Cantinflas Mexican comedies (with subtitles) from the '50's released by Columbia Pictures and The Witch's Mirror, a B&W Mexican horror classic and thought they looked pretty good, too. Two Tyrone Power titles played well, the Blu-ray of The Mark of Zorro and the Fox DVD of Captain from Castile. Looking to the upgrading to the BR for the latter title. Caught up on TV shows from last season recorded on my Channel Master DVR+. Gotham, Blindspot, etc., looked very good.

Bill_Bright

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Thanks. Frankly, I am not interested in 3D. I decided long ago I would not get a 3D TV until the 2nd generation of 3D TVs that did not require special glasses came out. So not sure that will ever happen in what's left of my lifetime.

I am mostly interested in 4K performance compared to regular Blue-Ray and wondering if my 65 year old eyes will even notice. I bought the new Wonder Woman movie in 4K but waiting to watch it until the drive arrives. I have to wait awhile. It seem B&H is closed for Jewish holidays so I will not have it for a couple weeks.

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet
Wonder Woman 4K is waiting for me at home. Also, The Bridge on the River Kwai. Looking forward to watching them when I return home. I also use a 4K Roku for streaming. My eyes will be 66 years old in January. They notice the difference!

Bill_Bright

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill
Well, you clearly are ancient, much MUCH older than me so not sure I can relate since my eyes don't turn 66 until well into February, ;)

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet
Anyone who remembers replacing tubes in a B&W TV is not a whippersnapper, unless you grew up using a crystal radio receiver!

upload_2017-10-5_13-46-37.png

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Wonder Woman 4K is waiting for me at home. Also, The Bridge on the River Kwai. Looking forward to watching them when I return home. I also use a 4K Roku for streaming. My eyes will be 66 years old in January. They notice the difference!

Ha ha - you're old!!! :P

I got my C6 around the same time as you and I LOVE it. I'm still shocked that it was such an upgrade over my Panny plasma.

I always thought the Panny looked great, but the C6 is a clear upgrade...

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet
I agree. This is an awesome set. It is far superior to the LG Plasma it replaced. I've had neighbors come over to see it and I usually play a 4K demo from YouTube that blows them away. And yet, when it's our monthly invitational Movie Night, we're downstairs in the home theater watching movies on the 110" screen using the BenQ HT1085ST and enjoying 5.1.2 surround sound through the Denon AVR-S710W.

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
I've ha days my C6 for 5 months now and absolutely love it. One of these days I will buy a 4K player but for now thoroughly enjoying my large collection of 3D blu-rays on it!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I've ha days my C6 for 5 months now and absolutely love it. One of these days I will buy a 4K player but for now thoroughly enjoying my large collection of 3D blu-rays on it!

Yeah, 3D BDs really look exceptional on the C6. I've increased my 3D BD purchasing a lot since I bought it.

I still won't buy movies I don't like just because they're 3D, but if something is cheap, I'll buy it even if I think the movie is only okay. I got the 3D "Smurfs" and "Dredd" because of that - they only cost about $10 each, and both are moderately entertaining...

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet
The set takes passive 3D glasses so buying enough for a crowd is cheap! I got 10 pairs for $10 on eBay. I now have 17 pairs of passive 3D glasses from various sources but my TV room can only seat 6 adults! Also discovered that when kids sit on the floor, they're "off the axis" for 3D viewing. Gotta put the scamps on chairs!

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
Yeah, 3D BDs really look exceptional on the C6. I've increased my 3D BD purchasing a lot since I bought it.

I still won't buy movies I don't like just because they're 3D, but if something is cheap, I'll buy it even if I think the movie is only okay. I got the 3D "Smurfs" and "Dredd" because of that - they only cost about $10 each, and both are moderately entertaining...

Dredd had excellent 3D but the movie was just so so to me

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet
I'm a fan of the classic 3D releases from the '50's. Those are the titles that we and our friends enjoy watching and re-watching. Looking forward to watching Gun Fury in 3D as we're looking at real estate in Sedona where it was filmed.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Dredd had excellent 3D but the movie was just so so to me

Agree. My summary from my review:

"All of this combines into a watchable action movie. I wish I could offer more praise for Dredd, but “it’s not bad” is about as far as I can go. This is competent and moderately enjoyable mayhem."

"Moderately enjoyable" was good enough for me to spring for a cheap 3D BD, though! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks