What's new

lets talk progressive scan for a second (1 Viewer)

Kevin Beck

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure this is the right place, but saw a few threads of the same type the past couple days,..and saw one reply as to the question I have,....
A lot of folks are looking for inexpensive progressive scan DVD players these days. I understand that 100%. I too need a new player, and don't have a ton of time to do the proper research, or the money just go out and buy a top end head, to get this overwith. So,...for anybody who really knows, and I'm sure more than just myself would like to know this,...what do you get in a top end progressive player, vs a lower end progressive player? I have seen more than a couple postings about the Panasonic RP82, and RP62, and a modest price, being all but as good a unit as the more expensive players offered by Dennon, and Pioneer Elite, and so on,...
I was told by a friend, "in the know" a few years back, about the player that I have now,...that it was one of the least expesive, "true" progressive players at the time,.come to find out later,..it wasn't really progressive at all,....Don't want to go down that road agin, if I can at all help it,...
Thanks a bunch guys,...The knowlege on pages like this is a tremendous help to all that have but a few if any trusted sourses for real world information about products and proccesses related to home theater.
>>>--->

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
I recently bought a Toshiba 65HX81 RPTV and was in the same boat as you, and the more I read about DVD players the more undecided I became, so I 'borrowed' a low mileage demo SD5700 figuring it probably would be the one to work best with it, then asked the ISF tech who dialed in the RPTV his thoughts. He said if I was just interested in a good picture, I could spend more money for the better chip set and attendant extra 'bells n' whistles' of the higher priced players, but of all the high end HTs he'd calibrated, many folks preferred the Sony DVP-NS700P which he said I could get relatively cheap on the net since it was being closed out. He also told me not to even consider its replacement.
Supposedly they have something called a 'chroma bug' problem, but either they fixed it later in the production run, it's not an issue on my TV for whatever reason, or I'm blind to it based on the description/'TOY STORY' picture comparison I found on the net (unfortunately, at 56 this is a strong possibility :frowning:), so as always, YMMV.
Anyway, I ordered it from 6ave.com for $168 (the cheapest I found it with what appeared to be a high customer satisfaction rating) the other month and like it just as well on my TV as the big buck Toshiba. I just went there and see they've reduced it down to $149, a steal IMO.
FWIW, this was the first time I've purchased over the net due to all the potential costs/hassles, but was very pleased with them. They quickly responded with a tracking number, a delivery date, and it arrived well packed and on schedule. At this price I think I'll go ahead and get one for the 27" too. :D
GM

Matt Weldy

Second Unit
I am wondering this same question. I have the little silver sony progressive scan dvd player also. Although when I got it and plugged it in I didnt see a whole lot difference in my non progressive and this one. So I was wondering should I be considering a higher end player and if I should which one. And not the new denon reference one for like 3500

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
A good progressive DVD player versus a mediocre one can be determined only if you can audition them and tell the difference, or somebody else (Stacey Spears, etc.) auditions them, tells the differnece and publishes the findings for you in a magazine or web page.
A very key issue is how well it de-interlaces non-film material. You will need a keen eye to evaluate this. Some folks don't notice these deficiencies until someone points them out and then they stand out like a sore thumb. Other folks almost never notice such deficiencies.
For film source progresssive players are all about the same, except for a player that obviously skimps on quality.
Also, you want to be on the lookout for the chroma bug.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
Found where I got my initial info. I rented the various movies listed to check for performance, and as AJ noted, you've got to do comparisons to tell the differences. I didn't compare more players because I was pleased enough with the Sony to not bother, though with keener eyes, who knows? Really, any differences between the two players were too subtle to be of consequence to me, but getting the TV calibrated made a world of difference, and on a limited budget turned out to where I got the most 'bang for the buck'. The Sony plus calibration was only a few dollars more than the SD5700 (local pricing).
Link Removed
Link Removed
Toshiba recommends a 10ft minimum viewing distance, but I used 8ft for the tests, and except for some VHS tapes my friends and I find it acceptable. FWIW, even though I've had S-VHS VCRs for many years, this is the first time I've actually been able to use the S-VHS connection and the difference in quality isn't subtle, even with my aged orbs.
GM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks