What's new

Lethal Weapon Box Sets (1 Viewer)

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I know there are two box sets of Lethal Weapon movies: one with the Director's Cuts of 1-3 and the other with all four movies. Does the box with 1-4 include the Director's Cuts of 1-3 and are there any major differences between the theatrical and Director's cuts of 1 2 and 3?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
The box set of four includes the theatrical cuts, not the longer Director's Cuts.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
The 1-4 box set includes the originals. The 3 box set has the Director's Cuts. The changes aren't that significant, although Lethal Weapon has one scene with Mel Gibson and a schoolyard sniper that's pretty good. The rests are little odds and ends that do help a bit with that characterizations, but aren't that significant. It is worth noting though that the DCs also have a DTS track that's not present of the original versions, and the faux steel snapper looks cooler to. :)

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
I was raised on the Originals, and I have seen DC, and they make no sense, buy the originals and in the Lethal Weapon 4 there is a special with all the scenes you missed in the first 3 movies!!!

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
No joke this happened at a Best Buy. I was comparing prices and noted that buying each individual DC is cheaper than buying the DC boxset.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
If I'm not mistaken, all three of the original (non-DC) discs are non-anamorphic.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
If I'm not mistaken, all three of the original (non-DC) discs are non-anamorphic.
Actually, only original LW2 is non-anamorphic (supposedly mastering error as the case is labeled as "Enhanced for Widescreen TVs"). LW1 & LW3 are anamorphic.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
The DC's, like all the early Warner Brothers DTS releases (including Interview With The Vampire and Twister), are FULL BITRATE DTS.

Dan

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
it actually sounds equal to the dolby on my system. This was a topic of great controversy back in the day, as most of the Warner DTS issues were virtually identical, many thinking the DD was better. It was a strange occasion on these sets.

I would recommend the directors cuts though. I prefer the original versions of all three films, but the picture quality on all the three is signifigantly better on the DC versions as they have two layers to spread on with new pic masters, while the first releases were single layer with old masters back from 97 I believe(or was it 98?)

chris_clem

Second Unit
Sorry for ressurecting such an old thread but I was just about to purchase this set and I have a few questions. Do all the statements on this thread still stand or has Warner changed the sets? Is LW2 stil not anamorphic on the 1-4 set? Still do DTS? Is there a 1-4 set with all directors cuts(not sure if a DC is even an option with LW4)?

I guess the most basic question this boils down to is: "What's the best way to own all 4 films?" (i.e. buy them individually, get the 3 film box then the fourth or get a 4 film box?)

Thanks.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Chris, Im glad you revived this thread because I'd also like to know if the 4-disc set has any extra features that are not presented in the director's cut collection?

Save for LW4 obviously...

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Btw, someone should ask WB in the upcoming chat whether they plan to revisit the franchise with a complete special edition collection including directors cuts, dts tracks, and special features for all 4 films...

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
The Lethal Weapon: The Complete Series is just the four films:

Lethal, Lethal 2, Lethal 3, and Lethal 4

Lethal 2 is 4x3 letterbox with a featurette and is the theatrical version. Lethal and Lethal 3 are 16x9 enhanced and both are the theatrical versions. Lethal 4 is part of the retired Premiere Collection and is 16x9 enhanced with a retrospective documentary "Pure Lethal" covering the four films. Lethal 4 also has interviews with the cast & crew, filmmakers commentary, and the deleted scenes from the previous three films plus trailers for all four Lethals. All four films are in Dolby Digital English 5.1 Surround sound.

The Lethal Weapon Legacy is the first three films:

Lethal, Lethal 2, and Lethal 3

All are director's cuts with added footage. All three are 16x9 enhanced with both DTS 5.1 Surround sound and DD 5.1 Surround sound. Lethal 2 even has the same featurette as before.

The most significant addition to the Lethal Weapon director's cut is a scene that introduces Martin Riggs' suicidal tendency much better. Riggs actually walks into sniper fire to take out a shooter.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
This is just my opinion of course, but I didn't feel the DTS tracks were great on the DC's. It's a shame Warner just quit DTS tracks completely.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Get the Box Set of the Director's Cuts. What I did afterward is I collapsed the box it came in, made custom covers for amaray keep cases and put the discs in those covers. Sure, I still have the original cards from the snapper, but I much prefer amaray.
;) :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
Hopefully Warner will re-visit Lethal 1 under their Two-Disc Special Edition line. All the movies need new special edition discs, in my opinion. It would be nice to see discs that have both the theatrical cuts, and the director's cuts available on them. With new features of course. All anamorphic, and all DTS. New transfers too...even though the current ones are pretty decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks