What's new

Pre-Order Leave No Trace (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
81NUHmrwOFL._SY679_.jpg

The price link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I can't understand why there has been absolutely zero interest in this magnificent film on this site - I just rewatched it again last night and I'm convinced now that it was one of my top three films I saw either theatrically or at home last year. It's been a long while since I saw something that moved me like this - the film builds gradually and grabs you without you really noticing it until the last part. The actor playing the 13 year old girl was astounding. The director wrote Winter's Bone, which kick-started Jennifer Lawerence's career, but I found this to be better. I can't recommend it enough.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You know what? I am willing to give this film a chance with a blind purchase.

The reviews have been pretty extraordinary.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check back.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard

The reviews have been pretty extraordinary.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will check back.
Just be patient with it. It starts pretty slowly before something happens 20 minutes in. On the surface it might seem that similar themes about a lone father living off the grid were explored in Captain Fantastic, but this a completely different - and more realistic - narrative. The performances, filming and editing are so good, it has a documentary feel.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Fantastic film. What an ending. Heartbreaking and life affirming. The central performances were worthy of award consideration; the writing and direction are so honest. Truly one of the best films of the past year.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I can't understand why there has been absolutely zero interest in this magnificent film on this site

Well, I posted about it at length over in the movies sub-forum last summer.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/leave-no-trace-2018.358100/

Have you had a chance to watch it yet? If so, what did you think?

I am bumping this thread because I just noticed that Amazon dropped the price on the Blu-ray to $16.99, which was enough to get me to buy it. Last fall when the disc first came out, there were too many new releases at once and I just couldn't do it right away, but I'm very much looking forward to getting it and revisiting it. I loved it in the theater last summer.

Surprisingly, Amazon offered me free one-day shipping on this, without anything else in my cart, as a Prime member. I had to do a double take when I saw that because I'm used to it being two-day shipping, but it definitely said one-day, and I'm supposed to get it tomorrow. No complaints, but usually you have to spend $35+ to trigger one-day shipping for free.

Also, for people who might be interested in seeing the film but don't want to commit to a blind purchase, it is now streaming included with the cost of Amazon Prime membership.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Unfortunately, entering "Leave No Trace" in the search box doesn't bring up your thread.

No problem at all. Under search, there's a box to check for "Search this forum only," which would limit search results to the specific sub-forum you were in at the time rather than the entire HTF site. If you're in here, and you were searching for Leave No Trace with that box checked, then the post in Movies wouldn't show up. Un-checking that box is sometimes your friend.

But your larger point about the lack of awareness of the movie is still valid because even my thread in Movies only generated limited discussion between three people, and the movie deserves way more attention than that.

I don't know anyone "in real life" (for lack of a better term, meaning, people that I actually know and interact with outside of internet forums) who has seen it, which is really unfortunate. I've been beating the drum for it since I saw it, but it has certainly flown under the radar for most people in spite of the critical adoration.

To go back to your original post, you talked about a lack of interest in the film -- I don't think it's so much a lack of interest as it is a lack of awareness. I don't think people knew about it and chose deliberately not to see it -- I think it's just one of those smaller films that gets a moderate release from a small distributor and wasn't a breakout success. So unless you're looking for that type of thing (which I do), it would have been very easy for most people to just not know about the film.

It did okay (Box Office Mojo says it had a $6 million domestic run, but Blecker Street's highest-grosser to date only made $27 million, so for them, $6 million isn't bad comparatively.) But it certainly didn't have the buzz it would have needed to expand beyond an arthouse audience. It played for a few weeks at my big Cinemark multiplex locally around the same time that Ant-Man and the Wasp and Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again did, and I'm not really sure what it was doing thee. It would have probably done better in the arthouse where it wouldn't have been competing for attention with so many other better-known branded films on the marquee.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=leavenotrace.htm

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/studio/chart/?studio=bleeckerstreet.htm

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
But your larger point about the lack of awareness of the movie is still valid because even my thread in Movies only generated limited discussion between three people, and the movie deserves way more attention than that.

I don't know anyone "in real life" (for lack of a better term, meaning, people that I actually know and interact with outside of internet forums) who has seen it, which is really unfortunate. I've been beating the drum for it since I saw it, but it has certainly flown under the radar for most people in spite of the critical adoration.

To go back to your original post, you talked about a lack of interest in the film -- I don't think it's so much a lack of interest as it is a lack of awareness. I don't think people knew about it and chose deliberately not to see it -- I think it's just one of those smaller films that gets a moderate release from a small distributor and wasn't a breakout success. So unless you're looking for that type of thing (which I do), it would have been very easy for most people to just not know about the film.
I would have thought that a website such as this one would have plenty of people interested in searching out smaller, independent, critically acclaimed movies. There are a lot of passionate film enthusiasts of all ages and tastes posting (albeit, very few women), but films like Leave No Trace don't get anything like the interest as something old and familiar does. So all credit to you for trying to drum up support! A lot of people who say they like movies, get very nervous at the mention of anything vaguely "Art House" - some of my friends included! Leave No Trace was not off the radar, for anyone who reads about movies. It was on just about every Top Ten critics list of films released in 2018, both American and international. It isn't even a foreign language movie, or filmed in black and white (as if that should scare off potential viewers!). I like a good Hollywood blockbuster, but I need to balance them with something more substantial. Mainstream Hollywood movies rarely move me like this one did.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Reading film critics, something abhorrent to so many here, is quite educational on current releases. It tells me what's out there and helps me make informed decisions on how to spend my time and money. Of course YMMV.
Leave No Trace is an excellent film.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I would have thought that a website such as this one would have plenty of people interested in searching out smaller, independent, critically acclaimed movies. There are a lot of passionate film enthusiasts of all ages and tastes posting (albeit, very few women), but films like Leave No Trace don't get anything like the interest as something old and familiar does. So all credit to you for trying to drum up support!

I completely agree with you about the quality of the film. However, just to play devil's advocate here: It's possible that more members didn't know the movie existed due to the studio's limited marketing. The forum is highly trafficked and used frequently, which is great, but that means that discussions with only a few replies end up getting buried underneath more active threads, so even my thread in the movies forum might not have been seen by very many people for very long. Even if they did see it, maybe the movie wasn't available. It only played in 361 theaters at its widest point, which is not a wide release.

I do think this is one where it has the potential to be discovered later on. As I mentioned both here and in the Movies forum, it's included with membership on Amazon Prime now, so I would highly recommend anybody who missed it to check it out there, if they don't want to do a blind purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks