What's new

LDs on HD TV (1 Viewer)

I have a lot of widescreen LDs. I'm in the process of buying a new HD tv, something in the range of ~$5K. How does a non-anamorphic LB picture work on either a 4:3, or 16:9 RPTV? Will a 16:9 tv zoom to use the full screen? (Depending on OAR?) So many damn acronyms, like learning a new language. Does the tv's de-interlacer work well on a LD picture?
Any help greatly appreciated.
Mike

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Every TV I can think of will zoom if you're using the regular NTSC inputs. For most newer sets, this is what you'll most likely be doing. Depending on your player you'll most likely want to use the composite input (unless you have a CLD-97/99 or better, a new HDTV should have a superior comb filter.) Most new HDTVs (especially at that price) will have 3:2 pull-down, so you won't need to invest in an external de-interlacer.

They should end up looking pretty good. As good as HDTV or even a top-notch DVD? Not even remotely close. Better than you've ever seen them before... That's a good bet.

For titles you can get on DVD, you'll likely end up wanting to re-buy them, but for a lot of Disney titles, Indy, Star Wars, etc... it's a life saver!

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

I have a Marantz LV5500, which is a rebadged Pioneer of '93 vintage, if I remember correctly. I currently have it hooked up via S-Video into my Mitsubishi 46" HD tv. Does using the S-Video inputs bypass the internal comb filter? Your statement makes it sound like using S-Vid might not be the way I should be hooked up. Advice is much appreciated.

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Yes, LD is stored in composite on the actual disc, so using the s-video out on the player is actually sending it through the players comb filter. Your Mits should have a far superior comb-filter than your player. Give it a try, and let us know what you see!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks