What's new

latest Consumer Guide picks- interior paints (1 Viewer)

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Just got my latest issue of CG and it rerates interior paints. Surprisingly American Tradition from Lowes moved down and Behr moved up. The CG Best Buy rankings:

flat paint:

1 Behr
2 American tradition
3 Dutch Boy (walmart)

Low luster:

1 Behr
2 American Tradition
3 Dutch Boy

Semi gloss:

1 Behr
2 Dutch Boy

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. Lots of painters swear by Duron. I've got about 10 different brands of paint in my house right now, I can't seem to decide which ones I like more, but I think I favor the Duron myself.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Very interesting (based on some of the Behr bashing)... I've just painted my son's bedroom with Behr. I used several very deep colors. Two coats were the most I needed, and I've been very happy with consistency and coverage.

Thanks, Chet. I'm going to have to get the issue from my dad.

BTW, love your HT colors. Nice job.

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Mike Thanks. I have used both Behr's and American Tradition and both have been fine. I don't understand the Behr bashing but everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have used Behr's thru out the house and coverage has been fine. I used Ralph Lauren paint once and it was a train wreck.

Chad Anson

Second Unit
I wonder how much of the anti-Behr bias (I admit I'm guilty of it) has to do with a lack of consistency in the paint department personnel at the Depot? I generally get substandard service and have little faith that the machines are kept properly calibrated, etc.

I haven't read the CG article, but I'm surpised that none of the major paint stores made the list -- e.g., Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore.

Chet Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Chad, just a clarification. I just listed the best buy rankings which is different than CG's straight up paint rankings. There were 59 different paints tested. This is the top 3 in each catagory with no regard to price:

flat paint:

1 Behr
2 Benjamin Moore
3 American tradition

Low luster:

1 Behr
2 American Tradition
3 Sears Best Easy Living

Semi gloss:

1 Behr
2 Dunn Edwards
3 American Tradition

MikeWh

Second Unit
I wonder how much of the anti-Behr bias (I admit I'm guilty of it) has to do with a lack of consistency in the paint department personnel at the Depot? I generally get substandard service and have little faith that the machines are kept properly calibrated, etc.
I suppose that would make me biased. I get decent service from the paint dept. staff in all 3 Home Depots in my area. One thing though-- I've made it a point to never buy paint on a weekend afternoon... the lines can be 10-15 people deep! It's like a zoo there. I always go after work or late evenings, so I might have a better experience at those times of day.... I certainly get better service!

As for calibrations-- you are right. If I purchased paint that didn't match a chip, I'd be bummed. On the other hand, I've never bought paint from my Home Depots that didn't match or lacked consistency between cans. I'd say there's good reason to complain to corporate, if you've experienced problems there in Austin. :thumbsdown:

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Mike I found out this weekend not to buy paint on a weekend afternoon. The line was long but I had a few thing to get so my wife stood in line while I gathered everything else. I tend to get a little impatient when it comes to standing in line. Now I know.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Yep... I think the long lines really adds to the frustration, and then people transfer their impatience to the staff. The staff get pi$$ed-off, and then it's a vicious cycle.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
I'm still painting. After I got done with one bedroom my wife says that looks great. So now she goes and buys paint for our bedroom and our bathroom. That two week turned into a litte longer. She is taking away from my HTF time. Right now I'm taking a few minutes break from painting so I can check out HTF.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks