What's new

Theatrical Last Night in Soho (2021) (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
A really nice looking 4k steelbook went up for sale a few weeks back and almost immediately sold out (I missed out, sadly).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
However, Edgar Wright will never top when I saw The World's End and I thought it was a comedy about guys getting drunk and all of a sudden aliens came into the movie.

That was exactly my reaction, too.

I picked up LNiS on UHD yesterday and watched it last night. I wasn't sold on it from the TV spots, but I figured that with Edgar Wright involved it would at least be interesting. And seeing Diana Rigg's final performance gave me the push to take a chance on it.

I can't say that it was flawless (I'll have to watch it again to pinpoint exactly what wasn't working for me), but the performances, the direction, and the cinematography were all breathtaking.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
My comments reflected the claim that from the start Ellie's visions had to be actual ghosts and not schizophrenia.

Sure, by the end of the movie we see that she "saw" factual events, but for a lot of the movie, that's not clear.

So for much of the film, there's the question whether or not she sees ghosts/the past or has hallucinations/mental issues.

It's not made clear until late in the film.

There's a thematic subgenre of films like this that introduce some fantastic element early on, and the rest of the film plays with the question of whether it's "real" or not, until the very end (or close to it). Some examples are Miracle Mile, Safety Not Guaranteed, Ondine, and The Man from Earth. This film is an oddity in that it's a mainstream (well, as "mainstream" as Edgar Wright can be) film instead of a small-budget indie.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Well, I'm no fan of horror movies, or scary movies, but when the credits say Edgar Wright, Terence Stamp and Anya Taylor-Joy, among others, they can pretty much make a movie about reading the phone book in the dark, I'll still see it.
Where can I find it? Streaming anywhere? Or still theatrical?

I confess that I wasn't initially taken with Anya Taylor-Joy, but my excuse is that the first time I saw her in anything was The New Mutants.:rolleyes: The more I see her, the more impressed I've become.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
A really nice looking 4k steelbook went up for sale a few weeks back and almost immediately sold out (I missed out, sadly).

Apparently, there are a few (UK, Germany, France) that all use the same (striking) image. I'd given up trying to get non-US SteelBooks because of all the covid-based shipping/cost issues. I was hoping that Universal would've done one for the US. They still might. I imagine that Best Buy didn't think the film was marketable enough to do an SB exclusive.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I confess that I wasn't initially taken with Anya Taylor-Joy, but my excuse is that the first time I saw her in anything was The New Mutants.:rolleyes: The more I see her, the more impressed I've become.
She's fantastic in The Queen's Gambit. I almost never watch things on Netflix and I gave that a chance based on her and she and the show are excellent. She first caught my attention in The Witch.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Any movie that opens with my favorite McCartney song written for someone else (World Without Love) is good for me.

It made me think of Tamor's Across the Universe jumping right out of the gate with a well-crafted and energetic number for "Hold Me Tight".

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
That was exactly my reaction, too.

I picked up LNiS on UHD yesterday and watched it last night. I wasn't sold on it from the TV spots, but I figured that with Edgar Wright involved it would at least be interesting. And seeing Diana Rigg's final performance gave me the push to take a chance on it.

I can't say that it was flawless (I'll have to watch it again to pinpoint exactly what wasn't working for me), but the performances, the direction, and the cinematography were all breathtaking.

I also recently watched this. I enjoyed it. It is beautiful looking and sounding. It seems sort of his love letter to 1960s London. It was cool seeing both Rigg and Stamp in this (though he is not in it enough) and I did enjoy the back and forth from present day to 1960s London. As usual with Mr. Wright it is a well made picture. I am not certain I would call it a horror film but it is a thriller with some horror elements.

Definitely worth checking out and the soundtrack is quite fun. I think I went into it a little overhyped and misled on what the film was.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Interesting look at the movie's visual effects:

I had no idea the extent to which the world of mid-Sixties Soho was created in post rather than through set decoration -- especially not the entirely digital Piccadilly Circus.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Interesting look at the movie's visual effects:

I had no idea the extent to which the world of mid-Sixties Soho was created in post rather than through set decoration -- especially not the entirely digital Piccadilly Circus.

In the realm of being surprised by "how they did it", I went through the disc a few weeks ago and was pleased to see how much of the dance scene was actually done in-camera. I'm cynical so I assumed all the switches were done via CG but it's nice to see some things are still done sleight of hand. :)

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Finally got the blu, and I have only one word; GREAT,
that was amazing.
I was scared maybe aliens or zombies would creep out and make it a gore-fest, but that was one hell of a movie. And those actors, or actresses, I should say, the two female leads were absolutely amazing.
While I like the Cornetto trilogy, this was something totally different, and far better.
A fine addition to my collection, and a director to keep on watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks