What's new

Last Action Hero SE? (1 Viewer)

MattFini

Supporting Actor
Count me in as a huge fan of this one. I've held off on getting the current DVD because all I can find now are the shitty full screen only DVDs (thanks Sony). So, count me in...a special edition would be a must buy on my list!!!

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Those of you in R1 who own a multi-regional DVD player (& aren't bothered by PAL speed-up) may want to check out the R2 release of Last Action Hero, it's widescreen & has a GREAT 5.1 track, it's pretty cheap at the moment to:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...580821-2238215

Might be worth picking up to tie you over until some sort of future re-release :)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'd purchase a SUPERBIT or an SE as well. I enjoyed this movie. I also remember how Jurassic Park ate it for lunch that summer!

Those were the days when the studios had summer blockbusters!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Count me in as another who quite likes this movie.

I only got my disc about a year ago, had a hard time finding a dual format version here then. I did not think it looked too bad at all, have seen plenty worse in some newer SE's, so it's not just DVD age. So yeah, it would have to be a true special SE...I expect we'll see "most" AS movies in some HD format eventually.

[Arnie is one of my favorite straight-men in comedy, possibly my favorite, even when he's in movies that aren't supposed to be comedies. I truly enjoy his performances, he just has to show up and I've got my money's worth...]

Mathew B

Stunt Coordinator
In Japan, there is a NTSC Superbit with DTS sound, that might be worth seeking out if you don't mind missing the extras on the PAL releases.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
" I think we're the only two people in existence who enjoyed this movie"

Ive always liked it. It was also one of the first remastered LDs I saw in the early 90s that got me to start collecting them.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi
My wife and I both love Last Action Hero.

I've always recommended it as a great combination of fantasy (the golden ticket, the kid getting into the movie), action-adventure, and comedy.

I've got the flipper, with widescreen anamorphic on one side.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

I did not know that!

I forget the specific details, but there isn't likely to ever be an SDDS decoder produced for home use. I was designed only for theatrical use.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I too have never understood the hate this film receives...I don't think many of the folks who hated it understood what it was trying to be, a satire of the action genre and film cliches/conventions in general. And even if they did "get it" maybe that was somehow a disappointment because they wanted a standard action film, oh well, I loved it for all of it's over the top aspirations.
The fact that it was buried by Jurassic Park didn't help either.

I would love a Superbit and/or SE.

Louis Howard

Auditioning
I've got the WS version of this as well and frankly, it doesn't look too bad- I've seen LOTS of movies look and sound worse than this one, since it also sports a 5.1 track. That's not to say I wouldn't love seeing a superbit version, however. I actually saw this during it's theater run :)

Peter Raber

Stunt Coordinator
MY wife loves Ahhhnold, for whatever reason I don't know, so we too saw this in the movie, and she couldn't stand it because she was looking for a true action movie. I, on the other hand, LOVED it!

I was rolling in the aisles it was so good, and the spoof was so dead-on. I truly think not many people "got" the fact that it was intended to be a satire on the genre and left disappointed. Whereas I think it's one of Arnold's best.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
It kills me that some folks probably didn't "get it", I mean it isn't exactly subtle is it? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks