What's new

Labels or Felt Marker for DVD-R/RW (1 Viewer)

SteveK

Supporting Actor
I was wondering if paper labels can be safely applied to DVD-R or DVD-RW. I'm referring to the round labels that would cover the entire disk, not a rectangular label that would only cover a portion of it and might affect balancing of the disk. I've read that it is not a good idea to apply labels, but I've also read that you shouldn't use markers directly on the DVD, and obviously you have to "label" it somehow.

I've used labels on CD-Rs with no apparent problems, but I wanted to check if they can also be used on DVD-R.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Steve K.

I think you will find that most burners or recorders advise against the paper labels. Having said that, I used to use them and never had a problem. If you want to do a nice job, however, Casio makes disk labelers. They have one which must be computer driven, and one which also has its own keyboard. They're neat little guys with a drawer to hold the disk and can print in colors in either text or graphics or both. I use my CW-75 exclusively now with NO problems. Expect to pay $100-$125. You can order direct from Casio on the web. End of commercial!

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Jeff. Actually, I've seen warnings not to use thermal printers too, so apparently there is no completely safe way to indicate what is on a particular DVD-R. However, based on previous experience with CD-R, I think I'll use the labels and hope for the best. My handwriting is bad enough, but it's even worse when I try to use a felt pen! So I'll just type some basic information on the label (title, perhaps several of the leading actors) and carefully apply the label. Of course, all of the DVD-Rs will have a uniform, boring appearance, but I suppose I can also use backgrounds or clip art to liven them up a bit.

Thanks again for the reply.

Steve K.

Again, I don't own Casio stock, but I've used their labelers on around 100 DVD's both before and after recording. No problems to date.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Actually there is a safe way. Write on the clear plastic in the center. ;) that's what I do.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I use the small, spindle labels. I've never heard of any problem with them. CD Stomper has label sets that have both full labels for CDs and spindle labels in them. You can get 150 sheets which has 300 full labels and 600 spindle labels for $20 at Sam's.

As far as the thermal printer, I'm planning on getting an Epson inkjet printer that prints on printable discs. A lot more versatile, you can get an Epson R200 for $90 shipped from Buy.com plus you have a good printer. You can also get good printable discs pretty cheap from the many online media sellers.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I'd advise against labels in case you ever buy a machine where you feed the disc into a slot and it gets dragged in (sorry, there must be a technical term for this). There's a considerable risk that you'll (1) chew up the label and far worse, (2) wreck the transport mechanism.

SteveKNJ

Stunt Coordinator
I've always used Sharpies for both my stand alone and DVD+-R computer burner. I haven't seen any problems that I could attribute to writing on the DVDs. I would think if it weren't safe, they wouldn't put a spot on the DVD to write in your info :) My theory with labeling is, once it's in the DVD player, you don't see it anyway, and since I keep all my DVDs in DVD cases that are well labeled, the label on the DVD doesn't matter too much. Sharpies are a lot cheaper than lables and ink :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks