What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Kurosawa's Seven Samurai -- The Video Game?! (1 Viewer)

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I post this here rather than in the video games sections because I'm interested in movie/Kurosawa fans thoughts:

From the latest issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly:

) finishes toiling away on the third-person action game. We gotta wonder -- will the game be in black-and-white like the movie?
As a Kurosawa devotee and videogame geekboy, I'm of two frames of mind. Who wouldn't want to vicariously mimic Kyuzo's skill, Kikuchiyo's bravado, or Kambei's strategic genius?

On the other hand, the thought of myself furiously pawing a gamepad controling a bunch of multicolered polygons representing Toshiro Mifune can't help but make me think one of the finest pieces of cinema ever filmed has been slightly... trivialized? I dunno...

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
This is so funny, I just finished watching Seven Samurai tonight, and was thinking this would make a good strategy/RPG type video game. It would be pretty cool if you could also control the bandits, trying to attack the village.

I'd only buy it if it had a B&W mode
Right on, Jeff!
:D

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
You think they could get Michael Jeck to narrate the cinematics and provide a running audio commentary for the Boss fights?

"And who is this NPC? No one... but he is there because Kurosawa put him there... There is no fat in this cinematic scene... Roaming camera pans right, we follow the eyeline, I'll you who programmed that rock in a moment, camera pans left again... Notice there are a lot of rear shots in this strategy guide...etc. etc."

I agree with Senor Kleist, this game must be released in b&w. And a bonus round where Katsushiro has 60 seconds to whack-a-mole as many drunken Samurai as he can.

The more I think about it, the more fun this could be... :)

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
There should also be a part where you play the farmers as you try to hire the Samurai at the beginning of the game.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
One of the greatest action films ever made into a video game, especially in the genre of weapon fighting (ie, samurai type) games that are already popular? It makes more than a little sense.

I'm all for it. Great art should inspire people to want to copy, mimic or otherwise utilize the ideas found within it.

Even if the game plays just like Onimushu or The Two Towers (hacking action), I think it would be great.

Tim Raffey

Stunt Coordinator
It almost as ridiculous as a video game from an autobiographical war film where the first casualty is innocence.

I'm just waiting for a puzzle-game version of The Passion of Joan of Arc.

P.S.--
You can just turn down the colour on most--if not all--TVs, can't you?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks