What's new

Kurosawa/Mifune Partnership Latest Criterion Focus Subject (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
If you are not already aware Criterion has, as a subject of their latest series of ‘Focus’ articles, the Akira Kurosawa, Toshiô Mifune partnership. There are five articles, including one by Kurosawa scholar, Donald Richie.

If you don’t already have the Criterion home page book marked,
this link will take you directly to the series of articles.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link Lew.

Man, I didn't realize that these two masters made 16 movies together! :eek:

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I saw the same links over at the Criterion site, fantastic articles indeed. That is indeed a great partnership of 16 films, yet they did not speak to each other over 20 years ?

Anybody know why ?

Mifune is also brilliant in Shogun

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Stuart Galbraith (author of Emperor and the Wolf) tries to explain a bit in his piece, but I still find it unsatisfactory. I too would like a more complete picture of their breakup after the moving Red Beard.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Stuart Galbraith (author of Emperor and the Wolf) tries to explain a bit in his piece, but I still find it unsatisfactory. I too would like a more complete picture of their breakup after the moving Red Beard.
And Galbraith’s book is also pretty short on specifics as to their estrangement—he mostly just alludes to their drifting apart.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Read em all. And it's becoming less and less likely I'll be buying Emperor and the Wolf, seeing as how everybody is disappointed with the fact that Kurosawa and Mifune's broken relationship haven't been brought to light.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
But get Richie’s book, Dome. It’s the standard and is a must (imo) for anyone interested in Kurosawa’s films.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
One more thing: Galbraith is pretty good in his film discussion and analysis. But begin with Richie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks