What's new

Kool Keith revives Dr. Octagon (1 Viewer)

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Wow, Dr. Octagon is my favorite hip-hop CD, so I don't know how I missed this story. Here's the link: Kool Keith makes a questionable decision
This news really really bummed me out.:frowning: :frowning: Not only is Keith backing off on his promise to never release another Dr. Octagon album (he kills of the character on his Dr. Dooom CD) but he actually knocks Dan the Automator in the article as well.
"I made up the name. That was my group."
"I chose to bring in Automator to work on the project, gave him his first start."
Let's look at those statements further.
There have been reports that Sir Menelik (aka Cyclops 4000) was a big help to Keith in creating the character. And to say it was 'his group' is just wrong. That group was as much Dan's lo-fi vibe production and DJ Qbert's scratching. Keith was one-third of the group, and each person was equally important.
His second statement is half-true. Dan put out a beats record called "Music to Be Murdered By" in the early 90's and produced some albums, but Dr. Octagon put him on the map.
Without involvement from Qbert and the Automator, this new CD is not Dr. Octagon. Keith has not said at all who is working on the new one. But to find someone who wants to be compared to the first Dr. Octagon will be difficult.
So bottom line, I'll buy the new one, if it ever comes out. (I am holding out hope that Keith comes to his senses and folds this project.) But I can't help but think it's just going to tarnish the image of the first. (Perhaps that's Keith intention.)
Keith has never done the same 'character' on his CD's twice. His last few albums have all been mediocre, and sales wise have not torn up the charts. To revive Dr. Octagon tells me that he needs a disc to make a quick buck.
He also broke off ties with producer Kutmaster Kurt, and knocks him on the "Spankmaster" CD.
He has until February to make a fantastic album and prove all the doubters like me wrong.
Oh, and since that article was done July 23rd 2002 I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has seen more current information.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
So it's possible he's just banking off the name. From what you say, he's not having as much success as he would like from his other projects.

But I would try not to let anything "tarnish" the original Dr. Octagon album. Movie sequels, cover bands, etc- the originals are still there and still great, despite how people, even if they are from the original, butcher it later on.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Guys, don't forget that Keith is a sometime mental patient. I'm not sure he really has the most rational reasons for doing what he does. Not unlike Wesley Willis (though he's obviously saner than WW), you just hold on and enjoy the ride, wherever it takes you.

EDIT: I wonder if Mister Gerbik will make an appearance?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Keith has never done the same 'character' on his CD's twice.
That is as I understand it. The only Keith CD I have is Dr. Octagon and I love it. Ange has much more, I need to listen to some of those......

Oh, shit! There's a horse in the hospital!

JasonK

Supporting Actor
From what you say, he's not having as much success as he would like from his other projects.
Keith has never had a 'hit' solo project, that I can recall. All of his best work had been with other rappers or big-name producers. To illustrate that point:
Dr. Octagon - Keith's best work. With production by Dan the Automator and DJ Qbert on the 'wheels of steel'. My personal favorite rap album. Warped, perverted Keith. Good stuff.
Dr. Dooom - Album where he kills off Dr. Octagon. Produced by Kutmaster Kurt. It's theme is Dr. Dooom in the ghetto, well, going bonkers. Warped, demented, twisted Keith.
Kool Keith: Sex Style - produced by Kutmaster Kurt. The best album done under his own name. Perverted Keith times 10.
Sinister 6000 - Keith's alias on Dan the Automator's 'A Better Tommorow' disc. Freestyle Keith, with a rap about old cartoons.
Cenobites - This is my 2nd favorite Keith joint. Produced by Bobbito, and Keith teams up with Godfather Don. The disc is OOP and hard to find, but if you can track it down well worth it. It was produced in 1997 and I think it's Keith's best work outside Dr. Octagon. Keith as a cyborg, or as Rhythm X. All-over-the-map Keith.
Now, for some of his other albums:
Black Elvis/Lost in Space - Produced by Keith for a major label. It has its fans and detractors. I fall somewhere in the middle. It just sounds kind of bland. I always thought that in time I would warm to this one, but haven't...yet.
Black Elvis funky sci-fi Keith
Kool Keith: Matthew - Produced by Kutmaster Kurt...at least some of it is (I think). Many people think it's horrible. It's an album of very angry raps. I like the disc, but it's nowhere near as good as his other stuff. Pissed off Keith.
Kool Keith: Spankmaster - He knocks Kutmaster Kurt in the liner notes on this. The album is mainly, well, boring. Exceprt for the title track, it's a good example why Keith should focus on rapping, not production. Once again, Perverted Keith.
Well, I rambled on a lot more that I planned on. My point though, is I think Keith may be feeling that he doesn't get enough credit for his work. Sour grapes, perhaps. He does play various instruments on some his albums, and he is a hell of an mc.
Perhaps he's out to prove that he can get another producer and put out another terrific Dr. Octagon disc. I don't think that can happen, but even if it's nowhere near as good as the first, it'll still be worth hearing to see what Keith does with the character.
***In previewing this post, it looks like it may be the longest post I ever wrote. Hope it wasn't too boring.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Yes, he did indeed spend some time in Bellevue. While he's not on the same level as, say, Wesley Willis, you have to take Keith's work with this in mind. Is he capable of making sound business decisions? Hard to say.
By the way, I love Black Elvis / Lost in Space. One of my favorite rap albums, and a Keith co-favorite of mine alongside Dr. Octagon. WAY funky beats, almost as wacked-out as Doc Ock.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Andrew,
I'm just curious, have you heard the Cenobites CD? As I said before, it's my favorite Keith after Dr. Octagon. The CD itself is rather rare, but well worth tracking down.
One of the songs, 'Kick A Dope Verse' is on the CD "Farewell Fondle 'Em" which was put out on the Def Jux label.
Check it out, it's some great stuff. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Bill cc

Agent
Is this old news that never happened ?

Because the solo album (Spankmaster?), and KHM album the article refers to at the bottom have been out for awhile now.

JasonK

Supporting Actor
Bill,

The date on the article was July 23rd 2002. So while the news is old, it's the first I'd heard about it. (I don't subscribe to Rolling Stone nor do I read it occasionally.) The topic came up on another site so I ran a search and found that link.

If this project is on track, we can expect a new CD in February. But, as Andrew and I have said, Kool Keith is know to be a bit of a character so the news could change by the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks