What's new

Kitchen Confidential - non-going thread (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This was actually funnier than I had expected. Not sure if they can sustain this concept of a show, but I'll keep time-shifting it for now.

I knew the pilot was in good hands with Darren Star at the director's helm.

Will Andrea Parker be back? Otherwise, she had a much too brief stay on the show.

Anyone recognize Bitty Schram as the food critic?

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I thought it was pretty decent. Likeable cast and Bradley Cooper looks great. Nicolas Brendon on the other hand....

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
So far so good, we'll see where it goes. Didn't have it scheduled to record because I thought it was another fox reality show.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
It's OK and the girls are pretty, but it was nowhere near as funny as AD before it.

Mike Brogan

Second Unit
I was kind of bored with it but I'll give it another shot because the cast is decent. I thought the whole "bad-boy chef" angle was lame and reminded me of hearing a male figure skater referred to in the same regard..."bad-boy of skating". Uh-oh, look out he don't play by the rules! And I know that's what the book was about but I just hope they don't dwell on that facet too much. If they do go that direction they should have cast the lead with someone a little rougher around the edges, basically someone more like Anthony Bourdain. Just putting someone in a CBGB's t-shirt is a lazy shortcut to saying "we got a rebel here."

Well that's debatable, in fact when I saw his name in the credits I almost turned the channel. We'll see if Fred Savage can do a better job directing.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I have probably watched alot of Darren Star directed shows in the past, so his presence as director doesn't immediately cause a knee-jerk reaction to channel surf.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I liked the show. There was a bit too much blood at one point though. It made me kind of nauseous.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I really liked this show. I've never seen Bradley Cooper outside of "Wet Hot American Summer", which was hilariously wierd, so I have no idea how he worked in "Alias", but here he was great. I was looking forward to seeing John Francis Daley and John Cho, and was pleasantly surprised by Nicholas Brandon and Frank Langella. Even Bonnie Sommerville, who I hated in her stint on "The O.C.", managed to win me over. The amazing cast lineup was awesome, but at the same time it was the biggest problem. The show felt constrained by so many characters and the half-hour timeslot, which is normal for a pilot, but doubly so here, where it felt like everybody had too little time to make an impression. To the show's credit, it doesn't make me not want to watch it. I just wish that it was longer, and/or that they stretched the cast appearances out, rather than have them always appear yet be underused. I'd like the ensemble cast to work as effortlessly as it does on "Scrubs", but they had a less recognizable cast (pretty much John C. McGinley, Donald Faison, and Sarah Chalke had been "big") and the benefit of a huge lead-in for ratings for a couple years if ratings were dicey.

I know I'm bitching about an embarrasment of riches, and it's still on my Tuesday lineup, but I hope they can find a way to make the supporting cast work for the show.

Ha! I thought the same thing until a week and half ago. Thank god I read up about it.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Given the source material and the fact it was on Fox, the show was surprisingly tame. Heck, Tony Bourdain's cook book couldn't be read on the air. But overall, not a bad show. Now that the first episode set everything up, I hope it gets better. I'll be recording this one.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
12/5/05

Though this show has been cancelled, it was fun to see Michael Vartan guest-star on this show, and his one-on-one with Bradley Cooper was hilarious. Cooper's face was so red, I thought he was going to blow a gasket.

The feud between the restaurants was pretty, I LOL more during this episode than I did in this week's Arrested Development.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Agreed. Another FOX miscue by killing this show. And I also finally realized that one of the chefs was a star on the late, lamented Freaks and Geeks.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It took me about 24 hours to get the "Can someone help me get the sardines out?" line. :D

Cameron

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks