KISS Technology DP-450 DVD/Divx Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Anthony Urzi, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Anthony Urzi

Anthony Urzi Stunt Coordinator

Not a single thread in this whole forom on any of the kiss dvd players? I must be blind.....Or they relaly suck and aren't worth the mention....?

Anywya i bought one, $199 updated the firmware for divx 3.11 playback, and really enjoy it, it plays my dvd-0r's with 13 macgyver divx rips each no problem, same with my dvd-r mpeg enterprise dvd's

plays single cd-r divx titles liek a regular cd....

Onyl issue i'm relaly havign is it seems to "crash" alot

say i seak to a new file in any mode, mp3, (kick ass mp3 support, id3 tags and everything) divx, mpeg, whateverm, it tends to lock up, and only way to recover is a power cycle....i do the exact same thing again and it works, so it's not the content.

I cam ehere wodnering if anyone else was experince the problem and had a solution...now i'm left to wonder if anyone else even HAS the player :)

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I've had some similar problems w/ my Bravo D1, but not as bad as you describe. My problems are mainly in loading a disc. Sometimes it doesn't seem to load properly and skips the entire menu intro and won't go anywhere from there. Opening up and re-closing the tray usually fixes it.

It's kinda buggy otherwise... long load times, long back from pause times, and it's a crap shoot which divx 3 files it'll play (even w/ a firmware update). The PQ and features are great, but it's still a buggy player.

I beleive they're both based on the same chipset. I wonder if it's the shipset, or just poor build quality? I think someone said they both use the same loaders as Apex DVD players... bummer for such promising players [​IMG]

3. Anthony Urzi

Anthony Urzi Stunt Coordinator

the divx 3.11 playback is flawless so far, both sbc encoded, fast, and slow content.

Too bad it doens;t do advanced divx 4/5 featurres, like qpel, and it definatly hates b-frames.

but it suports both mp3 and ac3 interleaved audio.

the dang SCART c able is too short though, these projection tv's have too much of a hump and not enough top shelf :)