What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes (2024) (1 Viewer)

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
The trailer was incredible, and this is probably my first or second most anticipated movie of the year, along with Dune Part 2.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I agree that visually the next film looks great. But I hope that the storytelling is up to the same level, and we really don't know yet what the story is actually about.
The official KOTPOTA trailer is incredible & compelling - I've seen it twice (so far). Curious as to why the main human character (Freya Allan) is more "intelligent" than the other humans & why the clothing she's wearing is different from the other "savage" humans. I.e., it appears that she may be a time-travelling astronaut.

This trailer makes it more clear what I'd been assuming was the case since the previous teaser: that this film appears to be a "remix" of the 1968 film.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Just seen the new trailer & I’m not convinced, it looks like there’s too many CGI apes & not enough actual humans, only that one woman in the trailer. It does look visually stunning, but a nearly all CGI cast doesn’t interest me.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I tried to watch the trailer last night on YouTube and turned it off about halfway through. I lost interest pretty quick...I'll very likely see this in the theater, but I'm going to have absurdly low expectations. I really enjoyed Rise of the Planet of the Apes and then the law of diminishing returns set in for me very quickly.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'll eventually purchase a copy and watch it for no other reason than I own copies of all the other films in the franchise. At least this one *does* look to be better than any of the original sequel films (and that includes "Beneath..."). I also enjoy the recent trilogy more than any of the original sequels and Burton's film, but the original 1968 film is the one I rewatch most often.

The Drifter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jim
I don't care about the reviews. This forthcoming film looks great. I'm a huge fan of the re-booted Rupert Wyatt/Matt Reeves POTA trilogy, and this looks like a worthy 4th film in that series. Really looking forward to KOTPOTA.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Matt Reeves POTA trilogy
Reeves was a major reason why Dawn and War were so successful. (He did not direct Rise; Rupert Wyatt did that.)

That being said, they have a new director for the first time in a decade. The main character of the previous trilogy is no longer around, and neither is the actor who played him. This is not a business as usual sequel to War.

It is. important to remember that Matt Reeves also came into the franchise as a new director, replacing Rupert Wyatt from Rise. So I certainly don't think that Reeves is the only person who can make this. That is not the case. Wes Ball might very well do a great job. I don't know. But Dawn and War were so great that they are a tough act for anyone to follow. I also think that War was conclusive enough for the story that another film was not necessarily required. Of course they would want to make another one because Apes is a successful IP. I will certainly welcome another one if it is good and am rooting for it to be good.

The fact that there has been a lot of turnover between War and Kingdom does make this a bit more of a question mark for me than if all the same people were involved. So it will certainly help matters if the film is generally well-reviewed. If it isn't, I think some people who embraced the previous trilogy might have some pause.

That being said, I agree that the article Alex posted is not necessarily the most reputable source. I don't see a reason to panic yet. But I am going to be very interested to see what the response is when critics get a look at the film, which is probably still a while off.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Since I enjoyed the films in the latest trilogy *far* more than *any* of the sequels to the 1968 original, I'll purchase a copy of this for viewing once it comes to BR. The official trailer is interesting in spite of making it appear to be a remake of sorts of the 1968 film.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Is that lady suppose to be the little girl from "War"?
That's a good question. I know the idea is that this is set a significant amount of time after War, but I'm not sure if they've said exactly how long.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That is certainly an interesting choice. If that is the case,
the characters in this movie probably don't even know exactly what happened in the previous films then.

I'll be curious to see where they go with this.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I got a ticket for preview night and then realized...nope, can't go. We'll be on a Disney cruise that week; maybe they'll show it on the boat one night? :)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

It is worth noting that some theaters are holding "Early Access" screenings on Wednesday, May 8. The typical "previews" begin in the afternoon on May 9. So if Wednesday night works better for some people, you can see it then.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.