What's new

King of Kings: the 1961 version (DVD review)... (1 Viewer)

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

Now I really need to see the criterion early release.
__________________________________________________ ___

Hi, Tim! Fancy seeing 'ya around here! :emoji_thumbsup:

My friend, you owe it to yourself to get the Criterion version of King of Kings; is simply a must have DVD!...

-THTS

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Hi Frank,

over the weekend I did some comparisons of different versions of KoK and the DVD still holds up very nicely. This has to be one of the best DVDs of a large format production that I have seen, if not the best.

So after 4 years I am bringing this thread back to the top of the forum - the DVD is that good and everybody who likes these kind of movies and movies by Nicholas Ray should give it a try
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Oliver

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Hopefully the transfer they did was done at 1080p so they can relatively cheaply release it on Blu-ray.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I finally bought this a couple of weeks ago. I just got tired of waiting for Warner to release it in the UK (they really are stingy with what they release in the UK). I've had a brief flick though, & it looks (& sounds) fantastic, looking forward to enjoying this.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

As the DVD is out for almost 6 years the master used for the DVD is certainly not appropriate for a Blu-Ray release. I also had the chance to check two HD airings of King of Kings that seem to be using the same master as the DVD and while one was a bit better especially with regard to chroma resolution it certainly is not even close to what would be possible on Blu-Ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks