What's new

King Kong (1976) (1 Viewer)

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator

You're joking, right? Dino received the Irving G. Thalberg Lifetime Achievement Award from the Academy in 2001!

DanHaya

Second Unit
OMG Jay! I had totally forgotten about that! And he was a really pompous ass when he gave his acceptance speech! He acted like he had produced 5 of the top 10 films of all time. What a joke he is!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
He may have produced a lot of less than scintilating films in his lifetime, but he also produced a few gems, and he's been known in the business for generations.
he's a fixture. and good or bad, his productions have given jobs to thousands and thousands of hardworking craftsman.
and above it all, Dino is a showman. He's old school with the hard sell ballyhoo, and i don't mind that. his purpose was to make mass appeal entertainment. no sin in that.

JayHM

Stunt Coordinator
Not to mention that he HAS worked with some of the most significant filmmakers of all time (John Huston, Fellini, etc., etc.)...

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Whenever people talk about Dino and "Kong" I can't help remembering that old John Belushi bit from SNL: "When Jaws die, no one cry. When my Kong die, everybody gonna cry!" :D

DanHaya

Second Unit
Hey, I'm not saying that Dino didn't deserve the Thalberg Award. I guess what I am saying is that in the last 30 years or so, he's seemed to get in over his head while trying to make the ultimate blockbuster film. King Kong, Flash Gordon and Dune come to mind. Now, he's been very successful making great dramas and thrillers, but everytime he's tried to go for the home run, he's fallen on his ass. And it hasn't helped that, in his broken English, he's stuck his foot in his mouth by making those outlandish statements.

Overall, though, he's been a great contributor to cinema around the world.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Did I mention that I'm actually in this movie?

Yup, standing in the crowd at the base of the WTC. I've tried to find myself in the crowd, but you can't see me (in the movie).

I was there, though!

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Dee,

Try to get a DVD player with ZOOM! With JVC's, you can zoom all over the pic.

I'm in "Boomerang" and one day have to rent that and find myself.

:) d

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

I don't know about the others but IMO Flash Gordon was exactly what it was meant to be, a campy send up to the less than spectacular 30's & 40's serials. What do you think it was trying to be?

Mark Hawley

Second Unit

Yeah, apparently while promoting King Kong, he was asked what it was about and replied "Eeze about theez beeg monkey!" and thought that King Kong would be a welcome alternative to Jaws because "Nobody cry when Jaws die!"

I also remember when he was promoting Hannibal, he was talking about how it was better in the long run that they cast Julianne Moore because she had more sex appeal and he said something alongs the lines of "I look at Jodie Foster and I don't want to have sex with her, but I want to have sex with Julianne Moore!"

Edit: I did a search and I found this, the actual quote:

"As an audience . . . I see Julianne Moore, and I want to go to bed with her. I see Jodie Foster, and no way."

http://www.jodiefoster.nu/media/2000_sundance.htm

And here's the Jaws quote which originally appeared in Time Magazine:

“No one cry when Jaws die,” Dino says, his voice rising in passion as he develops his theme. “But when the monkey die, people gonna cry. Intellectuals gonna love Konk; even film buffs who love the first Konk gonna love ours. Why? Because I no give them crap. I no spend two, three million to do quick business. I spend 24 million on my Konk. I give them quality. I got here a great love story, a great adventure. And she rated PG. For everybody.”
http://www.kongisking.net/kongfiles/022205.html

Also here's a link to a transcript of an SNL skit with Dan Aykroyd doing Tom Snyder and Belushi doing Dino:http://snltranscripts.jt.org/76/76ltomorrow.phtml

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson

Obviously. Probably the best film I've seen produced by him...and definitely one of director Mario Bava's finest hours. I think it's fantastic.

Hey, didn't Dino put up the money for EVIL DEAD 2 as well?

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
No, Dino co-produced Evil Dead 2 as well, he did it through a bogus production company...I don't remember the exact reasons, I think it was so the film could be released unrated but I'm not 100% sure.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Well, I didn't think it was obvious because I thought Diabolik was dreadful. Glad you enjoy it - I didn't feel that way, though...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks