What's new

Keurig Coffee Brewers - a few Questions (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My mom wants one of these Keurig Coffee Brewers and I was thinking about getting her one for Mother's Day, but I have a few questions.

She has one of those 'pod' coffee makers (I forget the brand) where you put in one of those large tea bag type of coffee things and it brews one cup at a time, but my mom doesn't like it because she doesn't use it every day (she only really makes coffee on the weekends) and it states that if you don't use it for 3 days, you have to really clean out the machine. If forget the actual term they used for it, but it sounded similar to 'seasoning' a cast iron pot when you're not using it.

She doesn't like this idea and would prefer a maker that didn't require a ton of maintenance.

Has anyone had experience with the Keurig maker? If so, is it a bitch to clean? If my mom uses it only on the weekends, will she have to do a lot of 'keep up' work with this maker?

Also, our local Linens and Things had the "Ultra B50" model (for $150) but I see there is a cheaper "Elite B40" model. It looks like the main difference is that this cheaper model only does 7.25 ounce (where the B50 does 7.25 as well as 5.25) and the B50 also has a programmable LCD.

I would assume that the LCD is so you can program the coffee to brew at a particular time? Since my mom doesn't use that sort of thing, I was thinking about the B40, but limiting her to only 7.25 ounce cups, hmmmm? I'm not a big coffee drinker so I don't know if that's good or bad?

Also, what does the 2 sizes mean for the K-Cups? Would you need two sizes or does one K-Cup work for the 5.25 and the 7.25??

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

p.s. I do see (on their site) that they talk about 'descaling' which should be done every 6 months.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

As noted above, it is the same single K-cup used for both, the amount of water you send through it determines whether it is a strong brew or a more moderate flavor.

When filling my travel mug in the mornings, which is probably about 14 oz, I actually send a 7.25 and a 5.25 brew through a single K-cup. It's a weaker brew, but it's good enough for me and fills my travel mug without using two K-cups (must be the thrifty New Englander in me :D ).

I don't know much about the pod brewers, but I wouldn't trade my Keurig for anything.

To order K-cups, I've ordered online from both:

GreatCoffee.com https://www.greatcoffee.com/kglanding.cfm
and
CoffeeWhiz.com http://www.coffeewhiz.com/kcupcoffee.htm

Both provided great service and a better price than you'll pay than buying in a retail store or direct from one of the roasters like Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (in my backyard, yes, but still very expensive).

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Malcolm, you answered a lot of my questions. :emoji_thumbsup:My dad was saying that Green Mountain also makes a single coffee brewer. If I'm not mistaken, I think we have one at work, but it's the 'Business' version. I was going to take a look at the GM makers as well.

p.s. My mom did say that if the Keurig didn't need to be 'primed' every 3 days, she'd definitely want one, so I may get her the B40.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
They don't really "make" one, but they're partnered with and promote Keurig. However, their price on boxes of K-cups is usually $13.95 (MSRP) whereas you can get the same coffee for $8.99 to $10.99/box through the links I listed.

When my parents owned the mini-mart, it was right next to the GMCR factory and we used to get some "free" boxes of K-cups from some of the employees who would stop in. But with the sale of the store, that gravy train has now ended. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks