What's new

Kenwood Soverign DVD players (1 Viewer)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
just wondering if anyone has opinions on these yet. i got my *free* DVD from them and was very impressed at the features presented. what's the build quality like? also, how about that Faroudja video processing chip? does that really offer a big improvement over, say, the Panasonic RP91?
i'm looking for a progressive DVD-Video/Audio player and was just about settled on the Toshiba SD5700 (when it finally comes in!) or the Panny RP91, but should i consider something from this new line?
thanks in advance!
ps- most i want to pay for any player is $419 from etronics.com for the RP91.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
If the most you want to spend is US$419 -- keep on going past the sovereigns.
They list for $1200 (5700 5 disc changer) and $1500 (5900 400 disc changer) respectively.
These (even at a discounted price) are way beyond your stated budget.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
The street value of the 5900 must be a lot less than $1500.00 by now. when I bought my Toshiba SD6200 it listed for $1200.00 MSRP and I paid $435.00 three months after it was released. These players have a habit of coming down in a hurry. Anyone run a price check on the 5900?
Russ

W

Will

If the most you want to spend is US$419 -- keep on going past the sovereigns.

I agree. They cost way over that, at this time. Maybe in
a few months they'll come down, but that's not the case today.
Since Christmas is coming up, most of the time, prices on
new items won't go down until after Christmas.
Good luck!

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Russel,
They're too new to the market to have dropped that far. The 5900 was released in the last month or so.
For the price to drop that far, the manufacturer has to drop the list pricing. This has not occurred yet on the Kenwood players.
Regards,
------------------
John Kotches
Contributing Writer
Link Removed

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
John,
Good. I still have a few other upgrades to go before I get around to a new DVD player, and I don't need any temptation.
laugh.gif

Russ
[Edited last by Russell _T on October 29, 2001 at 08:09 PM]

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
i know onecall.com lists both Toshibas (4700 and 5700) under $300 each. i think that's the way i'm going right now.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
The Soverign DVD player is the best i've ever senn by a discernable margin...only had it hooked to pio elite (58")
and mitsu diamond 65" though...more reflections later

Phil Nichols

Second Unit
MatthewJ S,
I have a Pio Elite 610 with no DVD player for it and have been considering the Kenwood DV-5700 or the Philips Q50 (despite the big $ difference between these two players).
I see very little reported by owners of the 5700 player plus it's cousin with supposedly identical video/audio performance - the 400 disc DV-5900M. One early owner of the 5700 had very little good to say about it over on the AVS forum and he actually returned it. I've read what the SHT SHOOTOUT II progressive report said about it and it reads "positive".
What impressed you with the Kenwood(s) on the two big screen RPTV's you used with the player(s)?

PaulKH

Second Unit
Phil - what DIDN'T the person on AVS like about the Kenwood? Its specs are EXCELLENT. The only reason I don't have one today is because I don't need a changer.
At this point I'm likely to give the Toshiba 4700 a shot when I can get one, unless Kenwood comes out with a single disk Sovereign soon.

Andrew P

Second Unit
Both Kenwoods are just a slight step below the Panasonic DVD-RP91 in overall picture quality. I think the best overall picture quality is the Philips Q50, but it has some playback issues so my advice now is the RP91. The Kenwoods are also very highly priced in my opinion.
Andy

MatthewJ S

Supporting Actor
If you think the panny91 is BETTER than the ken. soveriegn then your on crack!...I don't subscribe much to reviews, they mostly have an agenda or too many biases.While, I was sceptical about kenwood due to past dissapointments, this peice rules! Forget specs, brand x scaler, vs brand y de-interlacer, etc...just go and compare....

Andrew P

Second Unit
I have reviewed 5 or 6 players maybe you should read them before you question how my integrity. Of course it is my opinion, but I stand by it.
Andy

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mathew:
Watch the comments towards another member. Saying "..your on crack" is a personal attack towards that member and not allowed around here.
Parker

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Andrew:
Have you seen the 5900 in action? I have thought about picking one of these up due to the fact that they hold 400+3. I am going to wait for the price to drop some though.
Parker

Andrew P

Second Unit
Parker:
I reviewed the 5700 and I had the 5900 for about a week before I returned it. The video quality is very good just a slight notch below the Panasonic DVD-RP91.
For video quality alone I would say both units are quite good. I personally dont like changers though so both the 5 and 400+3 are not my preference. I also did not like the very slow disc changing and loading times, the remote control on the 5700 (5900 is better)is horrible, and the price is very high.
If picture quality is your only concern and price is not an issue then I would say you will probably love the player although the 5900 is a beast. It hung over my rack by a good 4 inches.
Andy

W

Will

quote:
i know onecall.com lists both Toshibas (4700 and 5700) under $300 each. i think that's the way i'm going right now.
Thomas, the Panasonic RP-91 is considered the better player
but the Toshiba's are over $100 cheaper, even if you
get the RP-91 at a real discount mailorder place.
Onecall lists the RP-91 for about $200 more than what the
real discount mailorder places charge. But hopefully,
Onecall will come down in price a little from the what they
charge for it, if you ask them to...
[Edited last by Will on October 31, 2001 at 02:14 PM]

PaulKH

Second Unit
Will - no one's even seen the 4700/5700 (or at least there's no reviews anywhere that I can find) - so it's hard to say the Pana 91 is any better.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I received my Kenwood 5700 today and all I can say is wow!!!! I already have a 4070 and was very impressed with it but wanted the new video chip. I would put the picture up against anything I have seen. The 4070 had a very good picture but 5700 blows it away. The slight waves that often appeared on my projection screen have vanished.
The most notable scene is from Gladiator. They are moving through the city towards the Colosseum. The walls of the building shimmer but not any more.
Being as this is night one I will be putting it through it's paces and doing a full review.
I am also upgrading all of my cables to the new Outlaws. I will do a before and after as well.
------------------
The Mischievous Rogue Strikes Again! The Humble Hanson Theater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks