What's new

KEF Q1 only for rear? KEF owners help! (1 Viewer)

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking about buying some KEF Q1s and I decided to search in this forum and in all of the threads I see everyone listing them as rears only. If i were to purchase them i'd probably put the Q1s in front and the RTi38s in the back. What does anyone/everyone think? KEF owners help!

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
The Q1s aren't specified as being surround speakers on KEF's site. They look like a conventional bookshelf speaker and are shielded. The shielding alone implies all channel duty.

In other words, go for it.:emoji_thumbsup:

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
I realise that but it seems noone deems them worth putting as the front mains. Always in sigs I see them as rears. I just wonder if there is a reason for this.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
hi raj, sorry, been out of town a few days.

i used my Q1s up front for a couple of weeks and they worked fine there for me. most people that you've seen with them probably have Q5/Q7 towers up front. the towers will handle more power and produce more output. a recent poster here had 5 Q1s in his setup.

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
but did you ENJOY them up there? :) Any insight as to whether they would be better than my RTi38s for fronts?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
i enjoyed them, but, in the end, not as much as my Q5s.

having just come from RTi1000 towers to my KEF setup, i can tell you that polks and kefs are very different sounding speakers. the RTi38s will probably handle more power and play louder. the kefs are "finesse" speakers.

what will you use them for mostly?

what pre/pro/receiver?

sub?

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just starting into the Hifi world so I only have a Pioneer VSX-D812K and my sub is a Dayton 10". I will be using them for about 85% music 15% movies. I'll probably use the prologic setting just so I can have a room filled with music from all corners (that is my motivation to get rears...not for surround soudn on DVDs) I am living in a frat house so space is limited and thats why there is no way i'll ever be able to have floor standers there.

I came upon a review of the KEFs randomly and just loved their style and I hear that their imaging/soundstage are EXCELLENT. I believe there is a KEF dealer in my city and hopefully I'll be able to audition these speakers before I buy them (if I decide to do so)

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
if you're trying to thump the frat house, then i'd recommend against buying the kefs.

is there a reason you're not looking at RTi6's?

um................yeah. listening to them might not be a bad idea.

Cagri

Second Unit
If your room is not very big, go for the Q1.. They will serve as great main speakers.. People who use them for rears may be using them in a bigger spaced room, thus they will need more powerful speakers to get more oomph.. Q1s are bookshelf speakers and have 100 W power handling, 91 db sensitivity if I remember correctly... I have a pair of the elder brother, Q35.2 (previous model) replaced by the Q3, and I love the Kef sound. No other speaker in the price range that I'd listened matches the Kef sound for me, but of course you'd better listen for yourself before you decide.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
how much are the KEFs for you?

for me, the Q1s were more than the going price for RTi6s.

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
I may get some used KEFs for aroudn 250. RTi6s cost more bc I would have to get them new. How much did you see Q1s and RTi6s going for? Online I see that the Q1s seem to be around 350 and the RTi6s about the same or closer to 400. Where would you suggest purchasing speakers from?

Raj_asaurus

Stunt Coordinator
I may get some used KEFs for aroudn 250. RTi6s cost more bc I would have to get them new. How much did you see Q1s and RTi6s going for? Actually, now that I look at it Q1s are slightly more expensive, if bought new. Right now i'm hoping to snag these used ones...Where would you suggest purchasing new KEF or RTi speakers from?

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
if i rememember correctly, i paid 10% less than the $425/pair "marked" price for the Q1s. i coulda gotten RTi6s for $380/pair; about the same price.

DavidGT

Stunt Coordinator
Raj....I have 4 Q1's and Q9C. Very very nice soundstage...esp for music. I wouldn't mix and match if I were you even though I like Polk too. They were my 1st set up. From experiencing both, Kef have smoother and bigger soundstage from the UNI-Q tweeter.
Im putting 1 pr of the Q1 and Q9C for sale if you want em. They have no more than 100 hrs on em maple color. Im getting higher Kef's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks