What's new

KDF-70XBR950 (780p) or Toshiba 72HM195 or Toshiba 62MX195 (1 Viewer)

HankSter

Auditioning
Real Name
Hank Sterns
Well I'm ready to purchase, and ANY opinions would be greatly appreciated ...

Choices as I see them

1 - KDF-70XBR950 (780p) ...... $2800
the following 1080p:
2 - Toshiba 72HM195 ............ $2990
3 - Toshiba 62MX195 ............ $2550

First the room has lots of light NO RP...

Second I want to hookup a CPU (puter) and XBOX, DVD, AVR (Denon AVR-2807 to be purchased as well, advice ?)

Third Have about 16+/- feet of viewing distance

Fourth How important is it to have 1080p versus 780p/1080i today and in 5 to 10 years. I've been using a 32" JVC CRT for the last 10+ years and it has done me well but now I want 16:9, I done waiting/reviewing ..... done, time to BUY !!!!

Fifth Saw a couple (at least three) of user reviews on the web where it looked like lamp life is an issue with the Toshiba's

With regard to the AVR, I looked at 3806, 4306 ... dollar for dollar I think the 2807 will do me well, hopefully, I need to drive JBL L7's front, L1's rear, center I forget, no sub, the L7's have 12" woofers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

THX
HankSter

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Sixteen foot viewing distance? I'd drop the 62.

If you see yourself wanting HD DVD, then 1080P is worthwhile. In a year or two, HD DVD could be a very viable product, so you should probably do yourself a favor and get a 1080P.

That would rule out the Sony. I guess you will have to budget-in the price of a bulb every 18-24 months.

I have no idea what the implications are (if any) of having it hooked up to your computer.

2807 would probably be a very good choice. Sufficient power unless you boost bass with tone controls.

HankSter

Auditioning
Real Name
Hank Sterns
There were replacing the blub more frequent than 18-24 months on the Tob's, like every 800 hours. At least that's what I got off three different user reviews .....

Also considering these DLP's as well:
Sony KDS-R60XBR1

Is it the only set currenty accept true 1080p, that's what I got out of this quote. I saw where some say that the HDMI is converted down to 1080i then back up to 1080p. It's all so confusing, probably one of the reasons I haven't purchased yet.

Please help a n00b understand .... :crazy:

Edit: There was a link in the HP review that explained .... learning more everyday, my brain is on overdrive !!!! :P

HankSter

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hank

I'm not sure why 2 of your 3 original choices were Toshiba's if you are that concerned about bulb life?

Again, I wouldn't even consider a 60 inch of any kind.

No, the HP is not the only set around that can actually display 1080P. I can suggest that you contact TVA, one of the forum's sponsors, and discuss your needs.

There is some possibility they will have more of the 65 HP to sell. There was a recent sale on them at a good price. Of course, there are shipping charges, and if you need the stand... :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks