What's new

K05B50 pictures (1 Viewer)

HungLe

Agent
Hi,

I am thinking of building the K05B50. I am curious how you guys finish it since I havent seen any picture other then the one on their website. Do you have to have the speaker cloth go all the way around like that?? Show me what you guys have done. thanks.

HungLe

Agent
So after all those ppl that did this kit, no one has a single picture?? Seems kinda odd.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I have several pictures of the SCH monitor kits I've built over the last few years, but none on my Geocities web site. I don't want to post any more there, as the resolution comes out bad. If you want a photograph, I've got several copies and can snail mail you one. I don't do the recessed ends and full wrap grill cloth. I build the cabinets with flush ends, roud over the front vertical corners and wrap veneer around the sides and front. I have pics of the rosewood veneer I did. I've also done oak.
Go ahead and try a pair - you'll have fun building them and will love the value.

Aaron_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
While on the subject... Hank, what radius round-over bit do you use for your vertical edges? I've heard 3/4 mentioned here... is that enough of a radius to bend a veneer over? Any reason a 2 1/2 HP router would have trouble with a bit that big in MDF? I've had trouble with oak veneer splitting in the past, but it wasn't the highest quality veneer either. Do you use 2-ply? Paper backed? Thanks in advance.
I also have a pair of the SCH monitors on order for my office system. Glad to hear that somebody's built them without those funky cabinets with good results. I was a bit concerned about rounding over the front baffle and changing the way the speakers sound; not sure what type of compensation they have built into the crossovers. I also plan on laying out the drivers asymmetrically on the front baffle- I would think this will be an improvement, but is there any need for concern?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Aaron,

A paperbacked veneer will easily wrap around a 1/2" radius but for the NBL veneer that I use most of the time you need a 3/4" radius as a minimum. Your 2.5 hp router should work fine as long as it has a 1/2" collet to accept larger bits. You really should use some sort of speed control for a bit that large though. I've done it with a PC router with not speed control but it's a bit scary.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i've got some poor quality pics.....of some very poor looking k05b50s:D
just click the link next to my profile button
you might have to hit refresh

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Jason, how do you like their sound? I just bought a pair, won't be building for awhile, but will probably be using them for my computer. Any comments?

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Hi Aaron - a fellow Austinite! Please forgive my shadow Brian - he likes to answer for me and he's enthusiastic. I've wrapped 10-mil paper-backed veneer around 1/2" roundovers, so 3/4" will definitely work. Your router size is fine but if it has adjustable speed, back it down some for the 3/4" bit. I've never had veneer split on roundovers. Make sure you get plenty of glue on the roundovers.

Jason, don't worry what they look like - be proud of your first effort. Then next pair will look better and you may even want to veneer or paint some.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
wonderful sound...not fatiguing whatsoever..yet very detailed...beautiful sounding vocals...and they can really keep up with fast percussion...it doesn't smear together

just make sure you use em with a sub

Aaron_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Brian and Hank, thanks for the advice. I have one of the newer ryobi plunge routers (RE 180L I think) with the adjustable speed and the 1/2" collet, sounds like it should do the trick. It's a nice machine for the price- especially after I figured out how to make the jasper jig work with it.
I'm thinking about going with NBL teak veneer from tape-ease; from their pictures it's pretty nicely figured, should match the color of my office furniture, and is reasonably priced.
My bad veneer experience was with single ply, non-backed red oak from Woodcraft. As you can imagine, it just splintered apart during bending and trimming. Then, to make matters worse, the finish soaked right through it and released some of the cement, giving me a nice bubble pattern to my finish. ;) Live and learn... if you're going to take the time to veneer and finish, spend the money and get good materials.
What part of A-town do you live in, Hank? I'm northwest, off of 183. I would love to have a listen to those AV1+'s some time, I'm considering them for my next project. :)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Aaron,
You're very welcome. Also, unless something has changed, Hank does not have a pair of A/V-1+'s. At least not when I was there back in the summer! :)

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Mike, looking at the frequency response of these speakers, you'd definitely need a sub. These speakers drop of at around 100hz, so anything below that would not be heard very well.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, you're welcome, and as my shadow Brian said, I don't own A/V-1+'s, which are a GR Research design. This thread is about SCH kits. I did build a pair of GR's A/V-3 towers for a local customer who is very pleased and would probably let you give them a listen. I have my original pair of SCH towers that you can check out, plus my BoseBusters :D
I live off 620, about a mile east of 2222.

Aaron_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Hank, perhaps you could comment on the sound quality of your SCH towers (which are beautiful by the way- I've always loved rosewood). I have considered building a pair as my next project. I am a bit concerned about the off-axis response of the 8" driver at the higher frequencies because my living room (listening room) does not allow a seating position in the middle. Do you feel that the off-axis response is fairly smooth? How about the bass quality? Is it fairly tight? I've always liked the sound of sealed 2-ways (like the old Advents); I don't enjoy the boominess associated with poorly executed vented designs. I would love to hear yours; I only live 3 of 4 miles away from you, right by the Lakeline Mall. I could offer you an audition of my 55W AKSA kit amp in return if you are interested; I have been quite happy with it and feel that it is also a great value.

I'm building a set of the SCH K05B11's (5 1/4" full range) for my office this weekend... if the experience with those is good, I may do the towers next.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Aaron,
I have a pair of the towers as well and can tell you that they are not the least bit boomy. The 8" driver is excellent and the tweeter is pretty smooth sounding. I'll do a little off axis listening today if I have some time just to see if I notice any problems.
That's all for now from Hank's Shadow! :)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Aaron, as my shadow said, the SCH towers sound fine and the 8" driver those guys designed is a winner. I usually sit close to the middle, but haven't noticed a problem off-axis (depends on how FAR off axis you're talking about. You can sure listen to mine - they're at Nils' house now - I took them over there for our "Guys movie nights" last week. Maybe I'll get them back Saturday morning before our Austin HT meet which kisks off at Rudy's BBQ on 183 at noon. Check the Austin HT Meets thread for more info - maybe you can make it.
Hung, I put 2 SCH monitor photos in the mail to you this morning.
Hi Brian :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks