What's new

JVC XV-N50BK (interlaced problem?) (1 Viewer)

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to electronics, so please bear with me. I've got the JVC model XV-N50BK. I'm aware of the "stuttering" problem but I can remedy that by simply turning off/on the player while the disc is in. But I have this other problem that looks kind of like an interlacing issue (I think). Basically these lines or streaks come up throughout all my DVD's, it's more noticeable with black and white films I think. It doesn't look nearly as bad as the interlacing issue on, say, Universal's Meaning of Life DVD. The lines are very faint, and they kind of fade in and fade out throughout the whole movie. And it occurs on all my DVD's, so it's not individual DVD's. I have the DVD player set to 480i because I just have a regular TV. Even though it's set to interlaced, could the fact that it's a progressive scan player connected to a regular ordinary TV have anything to do with it? I know I sound really naive but I'm just not good with this kind of stuff. Thanks for any help.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
If its set for interlaced mode, the progressive-capablity shouldn't cause issues with an analog (interlaced-only) TV. Sounds like a DVD encoding issue to me. Have you tried the DVD you notice the problem on with a different DVD player model for comparison? You can try selecting different modes on the JVC: Auto, Film, Video, etc. and see if the symptoms change.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
It actually occurs on all of my DVD's. I don't know if this makes a difference, but it is a region-free player, I bought it for the Dutch Laurel & Hardy DVD's. Those Laurel & Hardy DVD's are the only Region 2 PAL discs I have and the problem does not occur when I watch those discs (at least I don't notice it). Could the PAL/NTSC converter just be messing up slightly with my NTSC discs?

I did drag out my old player (RCA), and all my discs play fine on it. I just wanted to use my new JVC player because the picture quality is way better and sharper. If push comes to shove I guess I'll just have to go back to my old player for my NTSC discs.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The JVC's are unique in that they actually convert progressive to interlaced instead of the other way around hence the "pure progressive" on the front panel.

The upshot is that the 3/2 pulldown modes for progressive output do have an effect on the interlaced output--de-interlacing errors will show up on interlaced as well as progressive signals from this player.

Press the "choice" button on the remote, scroll one item to the right, then down to "picture source" click on that and you'll see two "video" choices, "film", and "auto". Try selecting "film" for your dvds that exhibit this problem.

I've seen it on a few discs when the player's "source" is selected as "auto", notably Titanic, but it goes away if I put it in "film".

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
Well, unfortunately your tip didn't work, Steve. However, I think your explanation for WHY I have this problem is correct, because I really thought it looked like a sort of interlacing issue but I just couldn't figure it out, so thanks very much. I guess I'll just have to get used to it. I would go back to my old player, but aside from this interlacing issue (and the stuttering problem which is easily fixed) the picture on this player is better than my old RCA player.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've got the 70 series JVC, essentially similar, and have only had the problem on a couple of discs, had to force "film" mode. Other than that I prefer the picture to that of my Faroudja-chipped Panasonic.

Ryan Zelon

Auditioning
I used to own a JVC XV-D723GD which had the exact same problem and is the main reason why I got rid of it. The picture looked great in progressive mode, but the de-interlacer is not too good. It would comb at some point in almost every film due to incorrect flags and bad edits. The video modes were too soft and full of jitters, and during any alternating progressive flagged titles (like Titanic, Austin Powers) it would convert to video mode (or comb badly if in film mode).

For incorrectly-flagged discs (which there are a lot of) and video titles, I decided to output in interlaced mode. Because the interlaced output is based on the progressive output (due to the old mediamatics chipset which I'm guessing they're still using) I saw many annoying streaks and lines, ESPECIALLY on anything that was red. For the longest time I even confused this with the chroma bug since I had never tried an interlaced player on my TV. I hooked up my older Toshiba SD-3109 which had no streaks or lines in the picture which assured me it was the JVC that was the problem.

The only solution is to get a different player.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
How do you switch to interlaced mode? I have it set to 4:3 LB being that I have a standard TV. Is this the same thing your talking about? Please excuse my ignorance.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
No 4:3 LB is different. There is a switch on the back for interlaced vs. progressive. Interlaced is required if you have an analog TV, progressive output requires a digital/HDTV set. There is also a way to switch with the remote.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks