JVC S-VHS, help me decide!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bruce White, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Bruce White

Bruce White Stunt Coordinator

I am torn as to which S-VHS machine to get out of these 4:

HR-S7800U
    HR-S7900U

HR-S9800U
    HR-S9800U

I've found good deals on factory refurbished models on all 4 of these.

The 7800 and 7900 are about $200 + shipping and the 9800 and 9900 are about $300 + shipping. All still come with the full manufacturer's warranties.

Any input or suggestions? I don't watch tons of tapes, but when I do watch them, I don't want to see images that come and go or a hooked image on the top of the screen or sound that fades in and out. I see this on older tapes. Will any of these machines help that?

My current VCR is belly up and is about 4 or 5 years old.

I've posted the query before about the 7800, but now am considering any of these 4. I'm just really slow about making the decision.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bruce

PS My current setup is Mits 55819, Panny RP91, Integra 5.1 receiver and Paradigm speakers.

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Heck, if you are posting the higher end model, by all means I would go with the 9800U. I read in previous posts that 7800 and 7900 lack the built quality their prior models possessed (7500 or 7600). I don't even know if the 7800 or 7900 still have DNR/TBC.

3. PaulHeroy

PaulHeroy Stunt Coordinator

I have both a 7600 and a 7800, and I was VERY disappointed in the 7800, both in terms of build quality and its actual operation. The 7600 does a great job of playing any tape; using the digital circuitry and stabilization features almost any of my old tapes look like they were recorded on the 7600 itself. I tried to find another about a year later, but only the 7800 was available. I figured it would be very similar, but it doesn't work nearly as well when playing tapes from other machines. JVC seems to have really cheapened their VCRs when going from the x600 to the x800 models. I guess even 2 years ago the handwriting was somewhat on the wall for VHS, but it's pretty aggravating that supposedly upper level S-VHS decks were crap.

I don't really know about the 9x00 series, aside from a refurb 9500 I bought around the same time that also had problems playing other tapes, though it looks great on its own recordings.

4. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I have the 7600 as well, one of the best investments I ever made. S-VHS recorded tapes from satellite, you can't tell the difference between the two, and let's just say, this baby does a great job with the Star Wars Trilogy and Indy Jones trilogy both Letterbox.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Bruce,

6. videobruce

videobruce Stunt Coordinator

Good job Wayne, couldn't have said it better myself.

Go for the one with the internal TBC I believe only the 9800 in this case.

7. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Bruce, get the 9800. I'm pretty sure that the 9900 droped the Antighosting Tuner that had been a staple of the 9xxx Series for years. Best wishes!

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Forget 'em both! Find yourself a refurbished HM-DH30000 D-VHS deck for $299! Got mine from ecost.com but I've seen them elsewhere too.

It will work as a standard S-VHS VCR, but you can also record regular TV programs digitally, and it has Firewire I/O for HDTV recording to boot.

9. videobruce

videobruce Stunt Coordinator

Too many reported problems with the 30000. I would go with the 40000 for a few hundred more.