What's new

Help me figure out this connection setup (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Here's what I have, or will be getting soon:
Sony DVP-S9000ES DVD player
Pioneer Elite CLD-79 LD player
Sony SDP-EP9ES digital surround processor (for decoding AC-3 RF)
Sony STR-DA4ES receiver
JVC HR-S5901U S-VHS VCR
...plus, digital cable with an as-yet unknown coverter box (Comcast, Baltimore County, MD, if that helps).
TV: Make/model still yet to be determined.
I need a little bit of help figuring out how to connect some of this together.
I think the DVD player is easy: Component video and coaxial digital audio to the receiver.
The LD player is more complex but I think I've figured it out: S-video to the receiver; analog stereo pair to the same input (for analog tracks); coaxial digital on the AC-3 RF out to the AC-3 RF decoder, and from the decoder, analog audio 5.1 (three pairs of stereo cables) to the multichannel input on the receiver.
Connecting the TV to the receiver also seems fairly straightforward: Component and S-video from receiver to TV. Also, standard analog stereo pair for times when multichannel is too much, to use TV speakers.
Where I start getting a bit confused is with the VCR and the cable box. Do I just connect the VCR to the receiver? It seems to have a dedicated VCR input, with S-video and composite (RCA) and stereo audio inputs and outputs as a matched set (there are actually two of these complete in/out sets on the STR-DA4ES). What about the cable box? Direct to the receiver as well, or to the TV or VCR first? I can't figure this part out.
I still have yet to purchase the receiver and the TV. I know I'm going to get the STR-DA4ES, but haven't fully decided on any TV yet. Whatever I get should have a full complement of the necessary connections (hopefully!). But I'm trying to plan out the connections now, so I can go ahead and order the cables, all of them all at once.
Thanks! :)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
OK, I've been looking at pictures of the back panel of the STR-DA4ES, and also of the Sony KV-32HS500, one of the TVs I'm strongly considering. I've also found Sony's manual for this model on their website, which I think is helping me. This TV has a cable input and loop out. Looks like this means I can connect the incoming cable (from the wall) directly to the TV, and from this, using only the TV, with the rest of the system off or not involved, I can watch unscrambled cable on the TV. But with the loop-out, the incoming cable signal also goes directly out, and I can connect that to the cable box. It's like using a splitter, the manual says. OK, so if I connect in this way...I'm assuming the digital cable box will have a stereo audio output matched with either a composite (RCA) or S-video output. Now, should I connect this output on the cable box to the receiver? Then connect VCR only to the receiver as well? Or should I connect the cable box to the VCR first, then the VCR to the receiver...or to the TV? I'm obviously still confused.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Also, I've been trying to find this info online somehow, and from what I can find, it looks like the digital cable converter box should have an S-vid output with stereo audio. That should make this easier.

Jim J

Second Unit
does the Sony SDP-EP9ES digital surround processor (for decoding AC-3 RF) have a digital output? If I know sony probably an optical. Most likely it is demodulated and can be fed into a digital input on your receiver.

At least, that is what I'm doing with my Denon AVD-2000

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks