What's new

JVC RX-DP10VBK, Sony DA5ES, or Marantz 8200? (1 Viewer)

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Its almost time for me to purchase my new receiver & Ive narrowed it down to the Jvc rx-dp10vbk, sony da5es or the marantz 8200. Anybody have any thoughts on any of these receivers? Feel free to recommend another receiver that I can get for ~$1000 refurbed or new. Right now I have Polk Rti speakers all around in a 5.1 setup with a Hsu VTF-2 providing the lows. I am really undecided if I would add a center rear for 6.1 or 2 rears & 2 sides for 7.1. This reciever is primarily for HT with a little bit of music on the side. I dont know if this helps in my decision, but I do have a Sony 300disc mega-cd changer(I think it can interact with the da5es, but I am not sure on what level)

Thanks

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I was in the same boat about a month ago, except for I did not have the JVC on my list. I am not saying that the JVC is not a good receiver I just didn't have it on my list.

I will tell you why I went with the 5ES.

better component switching
EQ
X-over can be adjusted from 40hz to 200 on all speakers
the amps outperformed the Marantz
$210.00 cheaper than the refurb Marantz
two multichannel inputs 5.1/7.1
5 year warranty

All this that I have listed was more important to me. I don't think you could go wrong with either though. Good luck.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Amps outperformed the Marantz? I'm curious, where did that info come from? The Marantz is THX select, while the 5ES is not. Got some specs (S&V?) Just want to see the nubmers, thanks.

Two multi channel inputs and x-over are very worthwhile features. SOUND wise, the 5ES does not compare with the 8200, IMO. My personal choice would be the 8200.

No comment on the JVC. Haven't heard it, and probably won't take the time audition it myself.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
John,

Here is where I go the info on the amps.

I hate to burst anybody's math bubble, but the STR-DA3ES was tested in the August Home Theater. To quote:
"...with two channels driving 8-ohm loads, reaches 0.1% distortion at 125.1 watts and 1% distortion at 143.7 watts. Into 4 ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1% at 198.6 watts and 1% distortion at 228.2 watts.

With five channels driving 8-ohms, the amplifier reaches 0.1% distortion at 105.5 watts and 1% distortion at 119.3 watts."

This confirms Sony's power rating and the power curve "looks" a lot better than that of the Marantz SR8200 reviewed in the same issue. And, the Marantz sells for twice the price.

Ira S. Weiss

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John,

As Ted alluded to, Home Theater tested out the Sony 'DA3ES and Marantz '8200 recently, and the Sony did very well in terms of measured power. Very well, indeed.

Ted,

This should not make the decision for you, but I suppose you know by now what What Hi*Fi? wrote in the current issue about the JVC and Sony models in a "Group Test".

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've heard the 3ES at a friend's house and most of the Marantz x200 line. I would (and did) personally still choose Marantz. :D At no time was I ever unimpressed with the 3ES, I felt it had more than enough power, however my 6200 also has no lack of power and it sounds better with music to my ears. I tend to let my ears make the final decision when it comes to audio gear.
Thanks for the info.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
John, that's fine. A power rating is just one factor to consider. Many high-end tube amps rate very low powerwise, yet they sound fantastic. A 20W-per-channel tube amp might appear underpowered on paper, but that's 20W of really clean power, and they sound great! Just because the Sony 'DA3ES gets a good power rating does not mean it will give the sound one wants. Everything has to be taken with caution.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
KeithH, I forgot about the JVC review in the group test-thanks for reminding me. I guess all fingers, for me, right now are pointing to the da5es. Anybody have any info on the remote that comes with the da5es? How about some pics of the info that can be displayed on its LCD? It looks similair to the remote that came with my str-db930 I used to have. 2 things I hated about that remote was the slow connectivity time between the remote & receiver(for downloading info such as radio staions..etc) & the small amount of info displayed on its lcd-the one on the da5es looks much bigger than the one on the str-db930 I had-perhaps more info can now be diplayed?

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
The remote is the same and it is still slow. That is the one thing I really don't like about the Sony receivers.

Rich H

Second Unit
"I suppose you know by now what What Hi*Fi? wrote in the current issue about the JVC and Sony models in a "Group Test"."

"KeithH, I forgot about the JVC review in the group test-thanks for reminding me."
-------

Can you guys give a little more info on that group review? I've been interested in that JVC receiver. What did the magazine say about the JVC?

Thanks,

Rich H.

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Juan, I know what you mean about the slowness of that doggone two-way LCD remote of Sony's. I briefly had a 555ES receiver that I sent back, primarily due to the poor contrast/performance of that remote. Basically Sony just flat out got too cute with it. I *did* like the sound/performance of the Sony, but all-in-all things just didn't add up to a warm-fuzzy for me.

The Marantz SR-8200's two-way remote doesn't do as much nifty stuff (like displaying song titles from Sony jukeboxes, etc.), but it is fast and much easier on my eyes.

Pete

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Rich H, check the 2nd page of the "Sony STR-DA5ES" post. The post is a few posts down from this one. Somebody did a C&P of the review.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ted,
Check out the 'DA5ES on www.crutchfield.com . They have some pictures of the remote. I once had the 'DB930 and now have the 'V444ES (in the shop, actually). In moving from the 'DB930 to the "V-series" ES receivers, Sony enlarged the LCD display a bit. The 'DA5ES remote is very much like the 'V444ES remote, if not identical. I've always liked the design. No problem here.
Rich,
I posted some information about the JVC receiver that appears in the current issue of What Hi*Fi?. See the following link:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...2&pagenumber=2
Just scroll down. The article also reviewed the Sony STR-VA555ES, which is the European version of the 'DA5ES. I included what was said about the 'VA555ES as well.

Ted Ross

Second Unit
Hah, I read about that :)
Why does sony still have the older model receivers at their website? I went there to look for the da5es but found the v333es/v444es/v555es

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Ted,

I couldn't even find those...even using the Sony search engine. Can somebody give me a decent link?

Rich H

Second Unit
Ted, Kieth.

Thanks for the info. The What Hi-Fi sonic description of the JVC as "warm," "full" seems to jive with the Perfect Vision review of that unit. However, the Perfect Vision reviewer viewed this sonic character as a "glass half full," as opposed to the What Hi-Fi's "glass half empty."

Still looking at having to buy a new receiver (after being ripped off for my 49TX).

Rich H.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich, no problem. I am really sorry to hear of your situation with the '49TX. Don't give up hope on getting your money back, though. Best of luck with this situation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks