What's new

JVC HD-52Z575 set and component questions... (1 Viewer)

SethC

Agent
OK, I just wanted to run by a recent purchase and get some takes as well as ask some questions if you all don't mind. :)

OK, first off, I just purchased the JVC HD-52Z575. From everything I have seen, it seemed the best option out there for my current price range. I have not been as impressed with Plasma or LCD sets (life of plasmas and screening and price on LCD) except for the $6000 plus models. :) I paid $2250 shipped for the set, so I think I got a good deal.

So, that said, here are my questions:

1. THe set I bought is 780p. I have read numerous threads on this board comparing 1080i to 780p and have found no real definitive answer as to which is better? Most of what I have seen is "it depends". Are all Rear Projection sets 720p? Is one necessarily better than the other?

2. I am looking at purchasing an up converting DVD player. I am tryign to weed my way through the huge thread so I apologize if this question is in there. Is there one definitive output that is considered "best" for connecting to my set? DO I want to look at HDMI, DVI, or Component out?

3. I currently have an Onkyo 676 receiver which I am looking at upgrading. Are there any receivers that are capable of switching hi-def HDMI or DVI signals? Do those sources need to go directly to the set? If so, what are some recommended receivers? If not, is Component Video what I primarily want to stick with?

THanks for all your help!!!

Scott_N

Second Unit
If i'm not mistaken upscaling DVD players only will pass a upscaled signal through the DVI out. The only dvi/hdmi switching receivers i've seen are flagship recievers which are expensive.

SethC

Agent
Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

Is HDMI currently considered the de fato "best" connection means for DVD and HD material currently? Or is COMP still the best way to go?

Also, can you maybe help me understand the difference between 1080i and 720p?

Thanks!!

John S

Senior HTF Member
For fixed pixel displays, HDMI / DVI should be best. Things are not always as they should be though, I have found several exceptions to this through experiementation.

Some upscalling players can have issues with the HDMI, and perform better on Component Video. I have even found some player display combo's that perform much better when 480i is fed to them over the component video.

So, it varies with different Source / Display combos....

SethC

Agent
Thanks John, I appreciate it.

One last question. I realize the difference between between an interlaced and progressive signals. But is there any definitive answer as to which is "better" between 720p and 1080i?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks