What's new

Just took delivery of an '04 Acura TL with DVD-Audio......WOW (1 Viewer)

Phil_L

Second Unit
I don't have DVD-Audio on my home theater system, so i wasn't familiar with what it could do. Well, I just ook delivery of my new TL which is the first production car to offer DVD-Audio. The system is amazing. Acura provides a DVD demo disc so you can hear the same song in CD quality and then in DVD-A. The difference is incredible and awe inducing. I certainly hope other manufacturers hop on his bandwagon, it would help promote the format for home use as well.

The rest of the car isn't bad either :D

DaveBB

Supporting Actor
I hope Acura puts it (either standard or as an option) in the 2005 TSX. (More in my price range.) I sat in the TL and was also blown away by the DVD-Audio.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Phil, I wasn't allowed to say anything, but my good friend knows the guy who developed the DVD-audio for those cars. He lives in Hamden, CT. ;) I've been dying to hear it ever since I heard about the project.

Congrats!

Phil_L

Second Unit

Mark, you really should hop into a dealership to check it out! I bought from Schaller Acura in Manchester, they are very nice.

On a side note, I am just sitting down to read the Navigation system manual. There are way too many features for me to ever remember. I guess you can only absorb so much technology at once.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
FINALLY. Are there any aftermarket DVD-A decks for cars? May gawd, I'd kill for a nice DVD-A/SACD deck in my car.

Phil_L

Second Unit

Thanks Bob, it's my first brand-new car. My previous Accord was a demo and my old Prelude had really been around the block. It's neat to actually be the first person to own it :D

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
What a kickass car

270 horsies under the hood and Acura dealer support if something should go wrong (highly unlikely tho!). ;)

I listened to DVD-A at Phil Hamm's HT meet on a B&W 600 series system. It sounded awesome and I just knew you could definitely hear a difference in the car, even during driving. I hope Alpine or anyone else starts making decks for this format within a couple of years. :emoji_thumbsup:

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i really dont like many japanese cars, but the acura tl is one of the better looking cars i've seen in a while. have fun!

CJ

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I have a 2002 TL and love it! It's a great car. I wonder if I could get the updated DVD-A installed in my car?

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
I used to work at a high-end A/V store which used to carry car audio products. Throughout the year, different manufacturers would send in their "demo car" all tricked out for customers to see in the showroom. Panasonic sent in a red PT Cruiser tricked out with a Panasonic DVD-Audio system and plenty of LCD screens. They did supply a DVD-Audio sampler disc, however, they didn't have the ability to do an A/B comparison on the same disc (unlike what Acura has done). From what I recall, the system didn't really blow me away. I would have thought that it would have sounded fantastic since it's their "show car", however, I remember hearing other cars (usually customers') which sounded a lot better. I don't know if Panasonic continues to make DVD-Audio head units, however. I would, however, really like to hear the system in the Acura. I sat in that car during the Milwaukee Auto Show and it was absolutely beautiful!

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
I'm waiting for the 2005 Acura RL to hit the dealerships in another month or so. The specs look very nice but I haven't seen what the prices are gonna be like.

Jeff

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
Man, I've been Jonesin' for this car for quite some time. Just trying to get a few finances squared away and the green light from the wife, then I think I'll be ready to jump into a new Acura TL myself.

The May 2004 issue of Sound and Vision magazine had a cool article about the Acura TL's ELS Surround Sound system. Check it out if you have the print issue, http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...&page_number=1 (page 41).

Phil_L

Second Unit
Jeff, the photos I have seen of the new RL look great, and All Wheel Drive to boot. I don't quite recall if they will make the move to a V-8, someting the RL has needed for a while. It should be a great product, Honda rarely makes a misstep.

Chris Smith

Stunt Coordinator
It is supposed to be a 300 HP V6. You have to remember that even the NSX is only a V6. I don't think Honda makes ANY V8s instead they tend to squeeze all the performance out of the 6 they can.

Happy owner of a 2003 TL-S, which I LOVE.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I have the Acura Integra LS which I LOVE!

I would love to hear the surrounds in the new cars though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks