What's new

Just picked up VF4 - what can I expect? (1 Viewer)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I just traded in my copy of All Star Baseball 2003 (XBox) for $25 toward the purchase of Virtua Fighter 4.

I am not really big on fighting games in general, though I thouroughly enjoyed Soul Calibur (DC) and DOA3 (XBox).

What can I expect from this game, in terms of gameplay? I hear its closer to a Martial Arts sim than, say Tekken - but how engrossing is it?

If anyone wants to record their impressions / reviews of the game, I'd appreciate it.

I just picked it up this morning, I've played it for about an hour. I don't have much experience with the VF series but know Tekken well. I've only been button mashing so far, but it's really fun to play. Looking in the directions you can see just how extensive each characters move lists are. I think you can play this game at just about any technical level and find it enjoyable. The graphics are very good. I think the only complaint could be made from somone really used to the arcade version as the resolution and textures took a hit, but it still looks awesome on the ps2.

I would start out with some arcade mode just to get a quick feel for the game, and then work my way through the training. It appears the more effort spent, the better it gets. Well I gotta go back and play some more !!!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
VF is the deepest fighting game out there. You can play as a button masher (though even a mid-level player will wipe the floor with you), a medium, or a master

Watching 2 masters play is breathtaking. The amount of combos and tie-ins you can perform is huge. Let me put it this way, in Japan they issue 150 page books on each CHARACTER (yes, VF is humongous there)

I'd like to add that the instruction manual is really first rate. It explains things really well. Does anyone have recommendations for a guide ? I've heard the Prima guide isn't all that.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
GameFAQs has *tons* of VF4 guides, don't waste your money on some overpriced US guide.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Just picked this one up too! Haven't played it yet as I spent most of my time this morning with Gunvalkyrie (2 Sega titles in one day!:D) but I am looking forward to firing up the PS2 when I get home and kicking some bootie with Wolf. HHOOOOOWWWLL!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
As a nerdy Tekken player (travels for tournaments) I can unbiasdely (wd?) agree that VF is in fact the deepest fighter around. Many beginners look for the flash of Tekken or SC but stick with it and you'll come to realize how many strings, maneuvers, and fakes you can pull off. It really is amazing.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Damn...I played it at work today. I don't really like fighters but I'm going to have to buy this one. It just does something for me :)

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
To answer my own question, this is the most engrossing fighter I've ever played.
It's definitely the "thinking man's" fighter.
I love it.
Looks like I won't have to add this to my "everyone likes this but me" list. :D

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
drool

i thought it was going to be released tomorrow! i am gonna go to the nearest compusa or toys r us in chicago today. this was the reason i picked ps2 up.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I think Best Buy advertised its release date as 3/21, but Electronics Boutique and Gamestop had it on 3/19.

It certainly is "drool-worthy".

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
The jackasses that work at my local Best Buy and Circuit City had the nerve to tell me that they it didn't get in till next week and later this week, respectively. So, after golfing nine holes, I went and bought it at Toys R Us.

When I got home, I had my ass handed to me by Akira. Can't wait to get into the training mode.

Sean

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
If the rumors pan out and VF4 makes it to the Xbox, it will be interesting to see if they spruce up the graphics a bit. They look great now, but it's a world away from DOA3.

-Dave

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
That's a good question, Dave. Although VF4 is currently 'PS2 Exclusive,' this is a game that will most definitely be offered up on the Xbox at some point. No doubt much of the aliasing will get cleared up, among other things. :)
Joseph

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
It really is fantastic. It puts Tekken to shame in my opinion, but then I never liked Tekken; it isn't even the best shallow fighter (that would be Soul Calibur).

VF4 might be my new favorite, but it's going to take more than a day for it to take that title from the Street Fighter series.

I still chuckle at the looks on their faces after a Ring Out.

I think Best Buy has the Prima guide for $5 if you buy it with the game, but as Brian said, given GameFAQs and the quite effective training mode, I think it's still about $4.50 too much.

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
Wow. It is awesome. One thing that seems funny as hell: Lao's winning gesture where he gives the thumbs down to his crotch. I wonder if he's expecting more from his vanquished opponent than congratulations?

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i got it today from toys r us.

the first thing i noticed was the jagginess of the graphics, it was really distracting. i am used to the gamecube's smoother graphics...but overall i think vf4 is really really really gorgeous.

and you know what? PAI IS BOUNCY!!!! AAAAAAHHHH HEAVEN

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
When I got home, I had my ass handed to me by Akira. Can't wait to get into the training mode.
Wait till you meet a master of the Akira palm of death :)
Ahh, the conversion of the unwashed begins, soon they will all say "Why oh why didn't I realize how good Sega's games were earlier?" :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks