What's new

Just assembled entry home theater for friend - a little help? (1 Viewer)

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg R
I just built my friend (a HT newbie) what I hope is a solid entry-level home theater. I'm helping him set it up tomorrow night, and I'm hoping to get some configuration tips, particularly in the area of bass and crossover, because the components are new to me. Here's what I had him get:

[*]Kenwood VR-509 Receiver[*]Panasonic RV-31 DVD Player[*]JBL NSP1 5-speaker set[*]Sony SA-WM40 Subwoofer[/list]
First off - some reassuring words that I did good? These puppies still considered good for their price ranges? I got him all the items listed for $925 delivered from eTronics.com. Hope I did ok.

Now... I have a harman kardon avr310 reciever that has an adjustable crossover and an energy exl-s10 sub with its own crossover knob. How do these JBL's, Sony Sub, and Kenwood receiver work best together? Anyone out there have a similar or identical setup? Is the kenwood's crossover adjustable? if not, what's it fixed at? how about the sony sub? Any general suggestions on how to make these things sound best together would be much appreciated. THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg R
No one out there with a similar setup huh? Bummer. Is 80 or 100 more preferable as a crossover point? Completely dependant on speakers or is there a rule of thumb?

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
From what I've seen being recommended here, that looks like very good equipment, and I see no reason why they shouldn't work well together. I have no idea about the prices, so I can't tell you if you did well there or not. As for the crossover, it is more or less completely dependent on the speakers. I'd prefer 80, if your speakers can handle it - 100 will probably make the sub pretty 'localizable'.

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
I don't have these components, but I'm fairly familiar with Kenwood receivers. I think most of their fixed crossover receiver (which the 509 is) are set at 80htz.

You should be able to set that on the Sony sub.

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg R
Thanks for the comment. I guess we'll just have to play with both - IF it's adjustable. Any other thoughts anyone? Thanks!

Greg Robinson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Greg R
Thanks Mike. Fixed at 80 huh? OK, could be worse. My old sony was fixed at 120. Yuck! So if the Kenwood is fixed at 80, do I turn the Sony sub to the MAXIMUM setting to take it out of the equation? Or do I set it too at 80? Thanks!

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Set it to maximum. You want to avoid cascading crossovers as much as possible. I have the Sony sub, and AFAIK it doesn't have a 'crossover-bypass' input. If it does, use that one, so the crossover is completely removed from the picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks