What's new

Just as I suspected- I can't find 1776 anywhere (1 Viewer)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I figured out what the real problem is for the lack of 1776 on the shelves. It's all a government conspiracy. All this talk about what the Founding Fathers were thinking around the time of the Declaration and the last thing the guv'ment wants is us realizing it was all singing and all dancing!
:D
Phil

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Anybody else still having a problem locating copies of 1776?
I ordered a copy with my local Borders back on July 3 -- hoping to use a discount coupon -- and its still not in. Employees there are surprised...saying it rarely takes them longer than two weeks to fill an order.
I only saw that one copy at FYE for $29.99 which I didn't get because of the price. Now I'm REALLY wondering if I shouldn't have kept it! :rolleyes:
Haven't seen any copies anywhere else! :frowning:

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Saw a couple copies at my local (50 miles) Suncoast. Full price though - if I can't get it online, I'll probably bite the bullet and get one.

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
To be honest, I found two copies about a week and half ago at my local Best Buy, so being a fan of musicals and not having ever seen 1776, I snapped one up, given the raves about the film here. Unfortunately, I wasn't real impressed with the film. So it's heading off to eBay. Now why couldn't some of you guys have been there to get those copies before me, and saved me the $22? ;)

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I wasn't always in Manhattan, so believe me, i hear you, guys. It was hell in south texas to find any titles i wanted, if there were stores to get them at.

I got mine on July 3.....despite what i read above from someone else who lives here, both Virgin Megastores, and Tower have plenty of 1776.

Get 'em online, guys.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Jeff Wilson,

What didn't you like? Could you be specific? I'm honestly interested.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I beginning to think that DVDPlanet got the entire shipment. When I was there last week, they had copies of 1776 coming out of their ears (relatively speaking).

Jeff Wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I don't want to drag this thread off course and get into a discussion of the film (although I guess I started that by posting my opinion in the first place), but I simply found the film a chore to sit through. I thought some of the acting subpar, and the songs not really memorable. Just not my thing.

David_Jr

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I just got my copy from DDD yesterday. Began to think it just wasn't coming and I'd be notified. There must have been an extremely short run of them. Glad to have it though. Looking forward to comparing it to my laserdisc.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Saw copies at Best Buy yesterday, in the Drama section, for $19.99.
Note I sacrificed my 1000th post in the name of trying to be helpful, instead of making an overblown "1000th post spectacular" in the After Hours Lounge. :D :wink:

BrandonG

Agent
David, you are right on the money on how BB works with product shipments. Catalog titles usually always came in GEO shipments, which hit stores 2 times a week. Most titles would either come in a week early, or several weeks after release. Usually 1-2 copies would get sent to stores that have a high amount of DVD movie sales. This is from 4 horrible years of working for the blue beast in the media dept.
Media mgmt does have the ability to request more product from corporate, but so many employees are not trained on this that your probably get a dumb look from the employee. My solution for everyone is to forget BB and the rest of their other stores and just buy it online.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Dave!

Forgive me for posting this again ( I posted it in another thread where, on second thought, it was sort of off-topic).

This is my personala saga for independence!

--Ordered 1776 from Borders on July 2 (due to your posting of their $19.99 price).

--Borders coupons come and go without my DVD making it into store.

--Notified a few days ago that 1776 DVD I ordered is finally in store. (Nearly a month after it's release date!!!)

--Pick it up today with the above coupon. Rings up as $25.99!!!!!! Told the guy that I was told, when I ordered the DVD, that it would sell for $19.99. Luckily, the original guy had written that down on my order slip.....so, tonight's cashier honored the $19.99 price minus the 15% discount.

--Now, its time to go Piddle, Twiddle and Resolve!

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"I am seeing evidence that the initial run of this title was short-produced due to perceived lack of interest..."

Which from my standpoint, would be poetic justice since Hunt and company guaranteed there would be an immense lack of interest in this DVD from the die-hard fans of this movie.

I still haven't seen a single copy in the suburban Chicago area.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Four months later since this subject was last addressed, I can only count two instances where I have so much as seen a single copy of this misfire.

I'd sure as heck like to know how the sales figures for this broke down ultimately, because I can not recall a single title that got so much hype in this forum that ended up being so invisible when it finally came out.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I see it all the time in the local Best Buys. I finally bought mine about a month ago.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The Best Buys in the Chicago area are not so generous with copies it would seem as opposed to your neck of the woods.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks