What's new

Just as I suspected- I can't find 1776 anywhere (1 Viewer)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
This really makes me mad. I mean, doesn't the studio think that maybe people would want to watch this for the 4th? Why have a release date when the dvd isn't readily available on that date? I was in Best Buy and one of the employees told me that several people had actually asked about this title...and that she didn't know why they didn't get it.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
At my work (Circuit City) we got a whopping 1 copy of 1776.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Got two copies in at my store, and as far as I know, they were both gone a couple of hours after we opened.

-mwb-

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I fear that one by-product of the increased number of titles being released on DVD is the edging out of non-blockbuster titles at the mass-marketers. I, for example, have never seen a copy of Victor/Victoria at a local store. It certainly makes it more attractive to pre-purchase all my DVD's through on-line stores (not that there's anything wrong with that).:D :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I saw one copy at Best Buy today, but decided to wait and try to get it elsewhere...BB pissed me off.

I'm glad I did...I found out that Borders is carrying it for $3 less. Roundup fans will see this info posted straightaway.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Uh oh, Dave!

As I reported in the RoundUp, there was one copy at my local FYE...but at $29.99! So, with great trepidation I put it back and was later thrilled to see your post about Borders having it for $10 less!

I get nervous about this sort of thing...but figure everything will probably work out fine.

Jodee

Screenwriter
This is why I always pre-order catalog titles.

Catalog titles (unless they are huge blockbusters) only usualy trickle into stores like Best Buy, and rarely are they ever offered at a sale price.

My copy of 1776 arrived in the mail today from DDD.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
My BB got one copy today, and they expect another later in the week. :rolleyes
So I've ordered mine from a non-chain independent DVD store, and I'll pick it up tomorrow--with some of next week's releases, too.
- Steve

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I found one... ONE... copy at my local Best Buy.
And I had to hunt for it.
It wasn't even in the Musicals section; it was in Drama.
And it was located with the S's, rather than the numbers.
In the basement, in an abandoned laboratory, with a sign on it that read "Beware of the Leopard".
Thanks and we miss you, Senor Adams...

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I went to Saturday Matinee to buy my copy. Then went to FYE in the same mall. No luck. Then drove to CC and Wal-Mart. Still striking out. Then went to BB and Borders. The guy in Borders said he had gotten phone calls about whether they had it in stock. He didn't understand why they hadn't ordered it. Then I went to CD World and at last, there it was. Why didn't any store order this title! In light of all that's happened this past year and the strong feeling of patriotism, wouldn't this title deserved a little promotion.

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator
I guess that's why I pre-order EVERYTHING from dvdplanet. My copy arrived on Monday and it is absolutely wonderful. The restoration is great and I have now just begun to listen to the commentary track. One of the best I have ever heard (so far).

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
doesn't the studio think that maybe people would want to watch this for the 4th?
This is actually a store problem more than the studio's. Best Buy is notorious for not stocking catalog titles right away, if at all. I ordered Z on-line knowing that BB would not carry this title. Look how many people had trouble finding The Great Race.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
" This is actually a store problem more than the studio's. Best Buy is notorious for not stocking catalog titles right away, if at all. I ordered Z on-line knowing that BB would not carry this title. Look how many people had trouble finding The Great Race. "

This is great news when you consider that the Best Buys and Wal Marts of the world are swaying the studios to release Pan and Scan only versions of films. Whats next will they stop carrying catalog titles?

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Local Suncoast. No 1776. Bastards. :frowning: I was really looking forward to watching the DVD tomorrow. At least I can watch the laserdisc if I can't find the DVD.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Like Steven_J_H above, I got my copy in New Jersey at CD World - a local, independent chain of stores that carry a very nice selection of catalog titles on release day. They are my first choice when I'm buying in a store rather than online.

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Without a doubt, Peter. Next time a catalog title comes out, I'm heading there first.:emoji_thumbsup:

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
This might be where the e-tailers will keep their niche in the DVD movie marketplace. I finally had to order The Great Race. I was tired of waiting to see if BB was going to carry this title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks