What's new

Jurassic Park Comparison R1 DTS vs R2 DTS (Japan) (1 Viewer)

phil hinton

Agent
Matt Brown has had time to compare the corrected R1 DTS disc against the recent Japanese (ntsc) R2 Dts version with interesting results. Catch his thoughts Here

ZackR

Supporting Actor
The SuperBit sounds like nice. :)

Aren't all Japanese SupeBits actually region-free? I thought I heard that, though maybe it was another country - not Japan...

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I believe it's the Region 3 Superbits that are playable in R1.
Yes and no. The R3 discs are NTSC, which means you don't need equipment to convert PAL to NTSC to watch them on your TV, but you'll still need a multi-region player since the disc is coded to Region 3.

-Lyle J.P.

Adam_ME

Supporting Actor
Not according to a bunch of people who've ordered the R3 Superbits from CDWow. They claim the DVDs work on a Region 1 player.

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
DAMN! So, the Region 2 DTS (Superbit) Japansese edition has MORE bass than the Region 1 (corrected) DVD? I don't think that my sub would handle it! As it is, my SVS 16-46 BOTTOMS OUT on the corrected version of Jurassic Park at -15dB! I'd imagine that the Japanese Superbit would bottom it out as low as -20dB.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
They can't even make two half-rate DTS tracks from the exact same movie sound the same.

And yet when some discs have a DD and a DTS track that sound different, some people continue to swear it is because of differences in codec quality, not the mix. :laugh:

Runar_R

Second Unit
And yet when some discs have a DD and a DTS track that sound different, some people continue to swear it is because of differences in codec quality, not the mix.
I'm sure they just do it to keep your crusade against DTS alive Michael.......
;)

Any more Bass than on the R1-edition, and I'd be picking up the wallpaper after each viewing.

:D

greg_t

Screenwriter
I have the region 1 repressed DTS DVD, and the DTS LD. To my ears, they sound virtually identical and it has been implied that they are both from the same master. I myself think of the DTS laser has the authoritative soundtrack for this film and the repressed R1 dvd is right there with it. Perhaps the superbit has been pumped up too much?

GregK

Screenwriter
I think this may answer why the reviewer's DTS R1 copy was found lacking:

Key points here is the reviewer thinks he has a repressed (also known as the 'corrected version', but in reality it's the custom mix used by DTS for the original DTS LD) DTS DVD but he's not sure how to identify the repressed JP DTS disc from the older pressing. I've seen somewhat recent posts here on the HTF where someone has complained they just bought the older version, although it's becoming less and less. My point is it is not a stretch to still purchase the old version.

FYI: There have been different audio mixes / variants of the 1st Jurassic Park, including the PCM LD, DTS LD(s) the DD LD, the DD DVD, the 1st DTS DVD and the re-issued DTS DVD. All have audio differences, with the first DTS DVD sounding almost identical to the DD DVD, but the LFE level was 4db lower. http://www.videophile.info/Graphs/JP/JP_01.htm Given some of the misinformation that has been generated on the 1st DVD pressing, I can see where someone would listen to the 1st DTS DVD version and say "Hey.. there's bass here. .. It must be the repressed version!"

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Ok - anyone know where can this Japanese Superbit can be bought for a reasonable price? So far, everywhere I've looked (at least the sites that I can read) have it for about $43, plus shipping. Pretty outrageous. I would certainly like to do a lot better than that.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
(early versions of this disc had an incorrectly mastered DTS track, but I’m not sure how you can tell what’s the corrected one and what isn’t)
I wouldn't "wet my pants for this" as it seems this guy doesn't even know how to identify the the corected version,which makes his conclusions,well inconclusive at best.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
(early versions of this disc had an incorrectly mastered DTS track, but I’m not sure how you can tell what’s the corrected one and what isn’t)
I wouldn't "wet my pants for this" as it seems this guy doesn't even know how to identify the the corected version,which makes his conclusions,well inconclusive at best.Even if the Japnasese version has more bass,who's to say it's the correct one?

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
FYI for those interested, since the review was written I have established that the reviewer's R1 disc is the original PEMC-D2R1/July 2000 pressing, and therefore does not include the corrected DTS soundtrack.

Adam

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Ok - anyone know where can this Japanese Superbit can be bought for a reasonable price? So far, everywhere I've looked (at least the sites that I can read) have it for about $43, plus shipping. Pretty outrageous. I would certainly like to do a lot better than that.
DVDs actually cost that much in Japan, so you'll have to live with or wait for the disc to be released elsewhere. Does anyone know if Columbia has the rights to Jurassic Park anywhere outside Japan?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks