What's new

June is shaping up to be the biggest TV on DVD month ever! (1 Viewer)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
It's true! Since my memory isn't so great, I'm not sure what competition it would have, but September 2003 was pretty good, if I remember correctly. Still, June 2004 is shaping up to the best month ever for our beloved TV on DVD:

--Another season of The Simpsons should finally arrive! For many, this will be the jumping on point as far as purchasing goes because it is often considered the beginning of the series' peak that last several seasons. Add these consumers to those who have been faithfully picking up each season and you should easily have one of the top 5 TV DVD sellers of all-time. And I might as well mention that the fourth season of another animated favorite, South Park, is due in June as well.

--The debut of the long-awaited Quantum Leap season 1 on DVD. Finally, that "rumor" that's been circulating for years has come to fruition. And Universal even got Bakula/Stockwell/Bellasario to do extras!

--The Dukes of Hazzard season 1 signals a commitment from Warner to release absurb television programming from the 1980's! And Daisy sprawled out across the Confederate Flag right on the cover. Tee hee!

--A couple more Adult Swim DVD's to add to our collections: Aqua Teen Hunger Force Vol. 2 and the debut of Sealab 2021!

--Spider-Man: The '67 Classic Collection 'toons. Are you broke yet?

--Reality TV: The Joe Schmo Show season 1. Can it possibly sell enough copies with a June slate this full of great stuff? Big Brother must be making some money because a 4th season release is set to go as well.

--Not-so-much Reality TV: Reno 911! is rumored for June, too. Can't wait! But I may have to wait. Until my second mortgage is approved.

--A second season of the hugely popular Curb Your Enthusiasm. Pretty quick follow-up DVD release for an HBO show. They really must have liked the early sales figures for season 1. Also, after what seems like forever and a day, Six Feet Under season 2 arrives! Finally!

--A show that many a fan of Six Feet Under should eat up, Nip/Tuck, is a June bride as well. NOTE: If you skip all your DVD purchases this month, you might be able to afford those Botox injections & that tummy tuck you've been wanting for some time now.

--The critically-acclaimed Monk & the Showtime series Dead Like Me both make their DVD season set debuts! And let's not forget season 1 of CSI: Miami either!

--Fifth seasons of both The Dick Van Dyke Show (and we can close the book on that one after this release) and The Little House On the Prairie!

--I'm sure you've already found several things to buy at this point, but don't forget to save some money for SCTV Vol. One. In fact, save at least $65 for this one.

--Columbia will dutifully bring us the first season of Who's the Boss? Unfortunately, we won't be able to run side-by-side "Now & Then" comparisons of Alyssa Milano because the one thing that doesn't appear to be scheduled for June is Charmed. Oh well. You can't win 'em all. But you can own the first season of Just Shoot Me this month, also from Columbia.

--Still waiting to see if that June rumor for season 1 of the '85 version of The Twilight Zone will hold steady. I doubt it will. Image had better save it for a less crowded month methinks!

--I pity the fool who can't find something to buy in June, so Universal decided to add the debut of The A-Team on Region 1 DVD.

--More Sid & Marty Kroft also coming this month, with season 1 of the original Land of the Lost series from Rhino.

--Two more Doctor Who titles down, scads more to go: The Curse of Fenric & The Two Doctors.

--Punky Brewster season one from Shout! Factory. Very low MSRP for a full season set. Very very '80s.

Yes, I know I am probably forgetting quite a few things (Coupling?). And I know you'll kindly point them out for us. And some announcements may yet be made for June. But as crazy as this sounds, the releases & announcements are coming quickly enough that -- come December -- June may just be a faded memory!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Dane, I agree that June is easily going to be the best month for TV on DVD in recent times, even though I've only got like 4 sets to buy that month...gees only 4?

I had to laugh, because your post reminded me of one of those commercials for like some CD compilation of classics, kind of like the sounds of the 70's commercials only with TV shows.

I imagined clips from the shows playing as I read your blurb on each one.

Bring on June...its a good thing may looks so light for me.

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
I have to disagree...its May for me...
5/4/04 - Three's Company - Season 2TelevisionTV-PG
5/4/04 - Samurai Jack: Season 1 TelevisionTV-G
5/4/04 - Reboot: Season 4TelevisionTV-G
5/11/04 - Power Rangers Dino Thunder Volume 1 - Day of the DinoTelevisionTV-G
5/11/04 - I Love Lucy - Season 2TelevisionTV-G
5/11/04 - The Jetsons - Season 1TelevisionTV-G
5/18/04 - Speed Racer - Volume 2TelevisionTV-G
5/18/04 - Star Trek: Voyager - Season 2Television TV-PG
5/18/04 - Sonic X - Volume 1TelevisionTV-G
5/18/04 - Sonic X - Volume 2TelevisionTV-G
5/25/04 - The Brady Bunch in the White HouseTV MovieTV-PG
5/25/04 - Frasier: Season 3TelevisionTV-PG
5/25/04 - Cheers: Season 3TelevisionTV-PG

And that's not even counting theatrical movies!

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
I'm going to have to agree with Sean on this one. It's May for me and it's May for me because of 5 words that represent something that blows every television show mentioned in this thread:

The West Wing: Season Two

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Kevin - The West Wing is one of my favorite shows as well. Other people are probably excited by Smallville season 2, which might give them release to believe May is going to be bigger. Add that to Jonny Quest, another season of Voyager, and the final season of The X-Files and June has competition.

But the continuation of series already out on DVD usually isn't enough to get me excited about any given month -- unless it's an installment of a series that comes around only once in a blue moon, like The Simpsons & Six Feet Under, which June has.

So it basically takes quite a few series debuts to make my head spin -- CSI: Miami, Quantum Leap (a pilot doesn't count), Monk (ditto on the pilot episode disc thing), SCTV, Who's the Boss?, Just Shoot Me, Dead Like Me, The Dukes of Hazzard, Sealab 2021, Nip/Tuck, Reno 911!, The Joe Schmo Show...

Don't get me wrong, May is great. At the very least, The Jetsons and The West Wing are mine on release day. But June will cost me much more.

JasonPW

Stunt Coordinator
"SCTV", "Simpsons" and "Dick Van Dyke" ALONE make June the best TV-on-DVD month ever. The holy trinity of classic television comedy.

(Don't get me wrong..I'll still be picking up a ton of that other stuff! But those three especially make me want June to be here NOW!)

Doc

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
I dunno if I can pick a month because this whole year is going to be simply amazing. I guess if I had to pick a month it would be June because of Six Feet Under and Dead Like Me. I can't wait. Here's my year schedule.

APRIL

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Season 1

JUNE

Six Feet Under: Season 2

Dead Like Me: Season 1

AUGUST

Boy Meets World: Season 1

NO RELEASE DATE YET

Seinfeld: Season 1 - December??

The O.C.: Season 1 - Fall?

Millennium: Season 1 - Fall?

Toxic Crusaders: Complete Series - Summer?

Eerie Indiana: Complete Series - Summer?

Carnivale: Season 1 - December??

HOPEFULLL BUT NO ACTUAL NEWS

Arrested Develpoment - Fox said it was possible but didn't say when. I'm crossing my fingers for Fall.

Keen Eddie - It sounded like it was coming this year but there's been no further news.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
And of course in June, dont forget about the two Doctor Who releases:

The Curse of Fenric
- and
The Two Doctors

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well I'm slowing on my TV Purchases definately picking up Quantum Leap and Perhaps Six Feet Unde, TV Boxsets demand too much time.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I am wondering what month LAVERNE AND SHIRLEY will be arriving. They say Summer, but with the already filled plate for Paramount in June, I am suspecting July maybe?

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
While some may still defend May as the month to end all months, it's getting harder to make that case. While most of the May titles are already in place, June keeps getting more:

The A-Team season 1
Land of the Lost season 1

And as Tony said, a couple more Doctor Who titles. All have been added to the list above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.