JP trilogy box set...here we go again!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DanC, Sep 20, 2001.

1. DanC

DanC Stunt Coordinator

This accordind to DVDFile:
    Here we go again... (09.19.01 - 4:47pm)
    More information has been released to retail outlets about the upcoming release of Jurassic Park III on 12/11, and if you've already bought the Jurassic Park and Lost World discs, you may not like it. While the specs for the Jurassic Park III release look good (see previous update), the Jurassic Park Trilogy box set, also due on 12/11, will reportedly contain a fourth bonus disc, The Jurassic Park Franchise, exclusive to the set. No details yet on just what additional material will be included, but it will only be available in the trilogy collection, so if you've already bought the previous Jurassic Park releases, you'll have to buy 'em again to get this fourth disc. Retail for the collection is $75.95, and we expect the press release to be announced soon. Sigh, here we go again...
    Sorry if this has been posted already but I didn't see it anywhere. What are your thoughts? Will you shell out the extra dough for just that one disc? The answer is no for me, I think they've (Universal) gotten enough money out of me already [​IMG]
    I did find another post on this subject so feel free to delete this if you want.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    Go Noles!
    >>------>
    [Edited last by DanC on September 20, 2001 at 11:47 AM]

2. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

This was certainly expected with them releasing Ultimate Editions and all. Especially of less than deserving movies.
    I say screw the extras disc (what kind of mind altering revelations can possibly be on it?) and stick with the DTS versions. I assume this set will only be Dolby Digital as it was previously announced.

3. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

I held off buying the two pack, So I can not wait to pick this baby up.
    Regards,
    Ricky
    ------------------
    C:WINDOWSDesktopjasonVSparbannerVER2.jpg
    www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD
    Thank you WILL K for the banner

4. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

I'm afraid $75.95 is much more than I will pay for effectively two disks. As expressed above - what could they possibly put on the extra disk worth that much? Given the likely discounts at release date I would estimate the incremental cost of that one disk at $32 or more. I don't think so.

5. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

I honestly don't care. I'm so sick of this...I'm just going to pick up JP3 and forget the boxed set, unless of course they come up with something so damn cool for that fourth disc that I can't help myself, or all three end up having better cover art...
    Not bloody likely...
    ------------------
    "What if he honks in the car?"
    "I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

6. Matthew M

Matthew M Auditioning

I actually sent Universal an email about this same topic today. It really irritates me that they essentially punish the customers that supported their first releases. What I recommended they do is release the new extra DVD ala "Matrix Revisited" like Warner Bros. But that makes too much sense for Universal. They proven time and time again they don't care about their customer base. I refuse to purchase their products for fear of getting burned. That may seem a little extreme, but its my opinion.

7. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

I agree. Enough is enough. At least Disney announces that their collector's editions will be released at a later date.
    Taking advantage of their hardcore DVD fans is what this looks like. Oh well.
    By the way, welcome to the forums Matthew.

8. Matthew M

Matthew M Auditioning

Thanks Jose, I also wrote Universal after they released their first wave of "Ultimate Editions." I cited ethical business practices as you mentioned, such as Disney with Dinasaur and Tarzan. I also referred to Dreamworks with Almost Famous, and Columbia with Dogma.
    Sadly, I never heard a reply from them after my first email, and I don't think I will hear one from this one as well.
    I'm all for re-visiting a particular film, if the improvements are vast and significant, such as Die Hard, Seven, The Crow, Terminator 2 for example. But in Universal case, we all know this is going to be the same Jurassic Park DVD's that were released a year ago, slapped together in a new package with a new DVD that includes extra footage/documentaries that were probably available a year ago.
    [Edited last by Matthew M on September 20, 2001 at 07:44 PM]

9. Tom Oh

Tom Oh Second Unit

Reminds me of Hitchcock box set with "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" bonus disc. I don't like the fact that Universal tries to make us rebuy the DVDs. We shouldn't be penalized for being an early supporter.
    ------------------

10. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  12. Tom-G

Tom-G Screenwriter

Tom G
    I'm with most of you people - I'm not buying this set stricly for a bonus disc. I'm not sure I liked Jurassic Park III enough to buy, but I will probably end up purchasing it.
    It doesn't really bother me that there is another disc out there as bait for the box set. If Universal can make a few bucks from this extra disc, God bless them. It's all about making money, however they won't be getting mine. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]