What's new

JP trilogy box set...here we go again! (1 Viewer)

DanC

Stunt Coordinator
This accordind to DVDFile:
Here we go again... (09.19.01 - 4:47pm)
More information has been released to retail outlets about the upcoming release of Jurassic Park III on 12/11, and if you've already bought the Jurassic Park and Lost World discs, you may not like it. While the specs for the Jurassic Park III release look good (see previous update), the Jurassic Park Trilogy box set, also due on 12/11, will reportedly contain a fourth bonus disc, The Jurassic Park Franchise, exclusive to the set. No details yet on just what additional material will be included, but it will only be available in the trilogy collection, so if you've already bought the previous Jurassic Park releases, you'll have to buy 'em again to get this fourth disc. Retail for the collection is $75.95, and we expect the press release to be announced soon. Sigh, here we go again...
Sorry if this has been posted already but I didn't see it anywhere. What are your thoughts? Will you shell out the extra dough for just that one disc? The answer is no for me, I think they've (Universal) gotten enough money out of me already :)
I did find another post on this subject so feel free to delete this if you want.
------------------
My Home Theater
Go Noles!
>>------>
[Edited last by DanC on September 20, 2001 at 11:47 AM]

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
This was certainly expected with them releasing Ultimate Editions and all. Especially of less than deserving movies.
I say screw the extras disc (what kind of mind altering revelations can possibly be on it?) and stick with the DTS versions. I assume this set will only be Dolby Digital as it was previously announced.

LarryH

Supporting Actor
I'm afraid $75.95 is much more than I will pay for effectively two disks. As expressed above - what could they possibly put on the extra disk worth that much? Given the likely discounts at release date I would estimate the incremental cost of that one disk at $32 or more. I don't think so.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I honestly don't care. I'm so sick of this...I'm just going to pick up JP3 and forget the boxed set, unless of course they come up with something so damn cool for that fourth disc that I can't help myself, or all three end up having better cover art...
Not bloody likely...
------------------
"What if he honks in the car?"
"I'm giving you a no honk guaruntee."

Matthew M

Auditioning
I actually sent Universal an email about this same topic today. It really irritates me that they essentially punish the customers that supported their first releases. What I recommended they do is release the new extra DVD ala "Matrix Revisited" like Warner Bros. But that makes too much sense for Universal. They proven time and time again they don't care about their customer base. I refuse to purchase their products for fear of getting burned. That may seem a little extreme, but its my opinion.

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. Enough is enough. At least Disney announces that their collector's editions will be released at a later date.
Taking advantage of their hardcore DVD fans is what this looks like. Oh well.
By the way, welcome to the forums Matthew.

Matthew M

Auditioning
Thanks Jose, I also wrote Universal after they released their first wave of "Ultimate Editions." I cited ethical business practices as you mentioned, such as Disney with Dinasaur and Tarzan. I also referred to Dreamworks with Almost Famous, and Columbia with Dogma.
Sadly, I never heard a reply from them after my first email, and I don't think I will hear one from this one as well.
I'm all for re-visiting a particular film, if the improvements are vast and significant, such as Die Hard, Seven, The Crow, Terminator 2 for example. But in Universal case, we all know this is going to be the same Jurassic Park DVD's that were released a year ago, slapped together in a new package with a new DVD that includes extra footage/documentaries that were probably available a year ago.
[Edited last by Matthew M on September 20, 2001 at 07:44 PM]

Tom Oh

Second Unit
Reminds me of Hitchcock box set with "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" bonus disc. I don't like the fact that Universal tries to make us rebuy the DVDs. We shouldn't be penalized for being an early supporter.
------------------

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
It really irritates me that they essentially punish the customers that supported their first releases.
So true. I made a vow a few months ago, during the whole JP DTS controversy, that I would not support their products until they had realized the contempt that they are showing for their customers. Unfortunately they have still not learned from their mistakes. I will continue to refuse to buy any discs from Universal until they change this highly unethical practice (IMHO) and begin to treat their customers with respect. Chris
...Ewww...it feels good to let loose sometimes
biggrin.gif

------------------
Star Wars: http://www.ig88-.net

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I'm willing to bet the boxset is DD5.1 only with no dts. They can keep their disks.
orangeman
------------------
Link Removed

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I'm with most of you people - I'm not buying this set stricly for a bonus disc. I'm not sure I liked Jurassic Park III enough to buy, but I will probably end up purchasing it.
It doesn't really bother me that there is another disc out there as bait for the box set. If Universal can make a few bucks from this extra disc, God bless them. It's all about making money, however they won't be getting mine. :)
------------------
flag.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks